Mom's not gettin it.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbits

Reaction score
Momma had her first litter in broad day light inher hutch in front of all the neighborhood kids. she never built a nestand never tried to take care of the young. I figured since it was thefirst time and with the opinions of others it was assumed she neededmore experience. The second litter was also born during the day butthis time she pulled her hair out right before. The babies died in twodays. Needless to say the kids and I were heart broken. I don't know ifshe tried to feed them because my other female who had a litter did itlike a champ when no one was around in the morning. The female I wouldlike to breed is Siamese colorthe male too. They are in a 10foot hutch split in the middle with wire and are always next to eachother on each side of the wire. she keeps bringing them out of theclosed part of the hutch in the open area to die. Does she knowsomthings wrong with them? Is she just not a good mom? Isshejust consumed with being with her hubby? I'll take anyhelp I can Get.

Wabbits - I would think carefully about breedingher again if that was the case. However if you really want babies fromher it seems like you will need to give her a hand. Did you have a nestbox? When she had the babies did you check them over and make sure thatshe was feeding them? As you have already had a litter with another doeyou will probably know what to look out for (warm, round bellies). I'mnot very good with Dams that neglect their kits as my Daisy has alwaysdone a lovely job with them. I'm sorry you have had bad luck with her,I bet it was heartbreaking for your children :(. Maybe someone couldgive you better advice on how to help her along with regards tofeeding. If you look through posts I think Carolyn has given goodadvice to people on how to feed them yourself with a dropper. Dothinkabout whether it is worth lossing another litteragainthough if she does neglect themand good luckto you!

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't think Iwill breed her again. I don't think I nor the children can handleanother full loss. I would have really loved to see the litter as theymatured. I'm sure they would have been beautiful.

I guess that I would think twice before I bredher again. But.....you have another doe, right? Ifyou want to try her again, breed her at the same time you do the otherone. Then you will have a back-up helper. I've hadseveral cases where the mama and I needed help in raising thekits. It was usually because mama had too darn many...had onedoe who birthed 16, and there was no way in You Know Where that shecould raise that many. Anyway, in cases like that, I'd splitthe litter in half...take half to the house with me and dropper feedthem evaoprated milk two or three times during the day. Thenaround dusk, I'd switch kits. Mama usually feeds the kitsonce or twice during a 24 hour period, so this way, everyone got somemama milk. Feeding the evaporated milk in the house kept thekits hydrated and ful of energy. Can't remember losing anykits using this method. And, you end up with really tame kitsbecause of all the hand feeding.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hi Wabbits,

I'm sorry for your losses.

You've been given excellent advice by DaisyNBuster andDelores. I think it's wise of you to lean towards notbreeding her again. Ifyou do, however, having asurrogate mother wouldn't hurt if you're up to having two sets oflitters.

It's hard to know what's wrong. It could be she's not feedingthem, the conditions are a bit off, or they doe and the buck don't makea good pair genetically.

-Carolyn

Some buns just aren't good moms, most who mess upthe first time, do well the second time but not always. Forthis reason, I never breed just one doe. I always breed atleast two at the same time. That way you can foster the kitsto the other doe, and problem solved. If you take the kits right afterthey are born and just drop them in the nest with the other does kits,she will raise them as her own. So If you really want somekits from her, then try one more time, but breed your other doe aswell. I have had mini-rex raise polish kits and polish raisemini-rex. It does work. Donna

Thanks for all the help. I will try the fosterapproach. If it doesn't work we'll call it quits with her. I would loveto see the offspring from the two.

Latest posts

Back