Moms & Dad Of Spayed & Neutered Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
I wanted to throw this out to all moms and dadsof spayed and neutered buns. I just had my buns altered 10days ago. They are healing wonderfully and eating well,getting some excerise and still into pets and kisses (cuddletime). I have had them separated about 2 months ormore. They are still separated. Here is thesituation, I thought it would be a good idea to try about 5-10 minutesof playtime on the rug in the dining room. I bring Shorty toStar and he gives her one good sniff, then BOOM! :shock:He'son top of her....you know...mating, mounting or whatever.Playtime lasted about one minute, thanks to Shorty. :p

I understand there are still hormones running through their systems,but (for crying out loud!:)) how much longer will hishormones rage? Will the constant mounting taperoff? I have heard that rabbits will always mount, but howoften? Everyday? All the time? Are theygetting pleasure from this?

Sidenote, I took him off of her, he jumped out of my lap/arms andjumped on her head and started mating with the wrong end.:?I guess he is practicing...

Thanks for any advice you can offer

Hugs! Shorty, Star & Krick

When Benny and Joongot fix, he stilldid that for a few months and then stopped. That was 3yrs ago. Now,that he's got Blossom, he does it again. He has slacked off some and assoon I spay her he'll probably stop like before.

i cannot believe that u would let them out 10days after your female has been spayed! I should imagine that the pairof them are still healing and that this was a dangerous move in itselfwithout the bonding issue being involved. Sorry if my wiresare crossed. I think depending on the male buns age it can beup to either 4wks or 4months, im not too sure, for the testosterone towear off and even then they still mount to prove dominance.

black_jack wrote:
for the testosterone to wear off and even thenthey still mount to prove dominance.
I've heard this too, when Ibonded my buns I would let one run around first thenI put himback and got the other one out, so they could get used to each otherssmell being around I did this for a few days and then let them meetthrough the bars, they have been in love eversince Ihavent told them that they are both boys.lol

rabbitluvr04 wrote:
for the males i heard that it can take up to 6 months! for the hormones to go away :shock:

Not an preposterous statement, but all buns are individual and recuperate at individual levels.

It has been years since any of ours have been neutered, but we still occasionally witness cases of mounting by either sex for dominance issues or seasonally induced interests.

It's a case of the "spirit being willing when the flesh is not!" Spirited little buggers don't want to give it all up, forever. It will become a diminishing problem as time goes on.

Some claim to reunite bonded pair as quickly as you can.Others say wait a while. We attempted to re-bond the next day between two does, lost the connection, never to be regained.

Go figure?

Buck

I've had Chomps fixed for a year and a half now,and he still mounts Abby! Mostly I think it's a dominance thing at thispoint, although she lets him know who is in charge.

black_jack wrote:
i cannot believe that u would let them out 10 days afteryour female has been spayed! I should imagine that the pair of them arestill healing and that this was a dangerous move in itself without thebonding issue being involved.

EEK! Wow, well, I was told by my vet that I could let themout 7 days after the surgery. I thought that was toosoon. I waited 10 days. And obviously waswrong. I am sorry to take what you said personal. Iposted the question hoping for advice, not wanting personalattacks. Thanks.

jmo, but all animals (people included) heal atdifferent rates.. i let my male bun out just a day after his neuter andhe was fine. it's all individual. i would imagine that yes,after 10 days the female would be fine to be out of her cage.. that'sfor the owner to watch and decide

A little advice the local breeder gave was putsome vicks on their noses, what is prompting them is thesmell. He says the vicks wont hurt them and that it is allthey will smell for a while. Just a suggestion

Kricket wrote:
black_jack wrote:
i cannotbelieve that u would let them out 10 days after your female has beenspayed! I should imagine that the pair of them are still healing andthat this was a dangerous move in itself without the bonding issuebeing involved.

EEK! Wow, well, I was told by my vet that I could let themout 7 days after the surgery. I thought that was toosoon. I waited 10 days. And obviously waswrong. I am sorry to take what you said personal. Iposted the question hoping for advice, not wanting personalattacks. Thanks.

Kricket was not a personal attack at all im sorry if you have taken itthat way. i was just shocked cos i know vicious rabbitbonding can be at times. i really hope you will forgive mefor offending u xx

Thanks Black_jack for the message. Iam so sensitive (sorry). Sensitive is good if we are talkingabout puppies or bunnies. Not so good in the realworld. ;)

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I have aquestion...when your spayed & neutered buns mate (or mount) doyou take them apart? Do you just let them carry on?

After talking to my vet tech again, she says it takes about a month forthem to be completely healed. I have decided to wait two moreweeks to start the re-bonding process.

Thanks & Hugs!

Our buns have both been fixed for over twoyears, and I swear every other night one of them is mounting the otherat either the front or back end. I am guessing that they'll keep onlike this forever. The girl is dominant, but the boy still wants tohave his fun I suppose. :) not really sure why they do it, it tends tobe in the evenings though.

Two years ago I thought I bought a male rabbit.I had just lost my 9 year old girl- bunny then andso I "knew"the difference. Man, was I wrong!

'He' started doing the "H" thing to my foot or my knee! My goodness!And was wetting all over the carpet. I couldn't take it. So I took himto the vet to get neutered.

The vet called me later and said "Its a girl"and I said thanks doc. Hesaid "No, your rabbit is already a girl." I was so embarrassed. The vettechs laughed when I picked her up. She did everything I thought a malerabbit does.

He told me that she thinks I am her mate. "Now, hold on there bobba-Louie!"

Two weeks later after having her spayed he told me that she may notspray any more however she may never stop the "H" thing. "Just don'toffer her your foot!"

Is this normal for a "girl" rabbit?

Latest posts

Back