Momma is loose, and I'm worried about the babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaPenguin

Reaction score
On the 1st Miss Priss had 9 babies (as you may know). This is her second litter, the first litter with no survivors. This litter was significantly larger than her first, at 9 babies total, her first litter only having 3.
We are down to 6 living babies. Normally I wouldn't be worried, since the adults have escaped/been let out before, and come back on their own. They never really leave the yard, and generally stay around their pen. But tonight my dog managed to let the rabbits out, and I have had no luck rounding them up, since I'm the only person awake. Again, normally I wouldn't be worried about the adults running loose, but we have babies back in the pen. I would leave the pen open, but our youngest adult was smart/scared enough to stay inside the pen. I don't want to chance her wandering off too.... ANYWAYS, I was already having my doubts about these kits making it, since we've lost 3 already, and she lost all of her first litter. But now that momma is running loose, there's no chance of her feeding them if she can't get to them!
What do I do? I haven't had the problem of nursing baby buns. I've nursed many a kitten in my time, but what can I feed a baby bunny?
And I have 3 older kits that were born 5/14. As far as I know, they aren't weened yet, but are eating hay. Should I be worried about nursing them as well?

Feeding Orphaned babies or those who need supplemental formula

I would use KMR and not the Hartz version but the real KMR.

Why are the babies dying? Is she not feeding them?

Once you catch you - you may need to make her feed them by holding her over them or flipping her on her back and putting the babies on the nipples.

I know she fed them the first day, because they were little fatties, but today they were noticibly skinnier than before. I don't think she's been feeding them like she should be. I will buy some KMR tomorrow, and when we're able to catch her again I will try laying her on her back and doing it that way. Thanks for the advice. I've nursed kittens from 4days old on, and know I shouldn't have much of a problem finding a way that works with these babies, but was worried about what to feed them.

We caught momma, but it looks like she's sprained her front paw. Poor momma =( There's no swelling, no puncture wounds, she doesn't even act like it hurts to touch it, but she won't walk on it. She'll definitely be needing help with the babies.

Ok so now I've tried to help momma nurse the babies, but I can't seem to get the babies to latch on. I tried just holding the babies head on/near the nipple, and I didn't seem like any of them were even trying, no matter how long I held them there and kept putting their faces back on the nipples. Help?

I got them to eat, they are looking much better, as in they're not skinny. But a couple of them aren't moving around a bunch like the others. I'll keep trying though.

Is it okay to remove the babies from the cage, and only let them with momma while they're feeding?

I have done that before - yes - if you feel like it is best. Normally by the time that the babies' eyes are open - I try to put them back with mama full time.

Latest posts

Back