momma burring her babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellablueyes

Reaction score
My rabbit had kits yesterday. Everyone is wiggly and happy. But this morning when I went down to check they were compmetly hurried in the corner. I had to dig a good ways down to get them out. She also peed on top of the pile so it was really warm. A couple have full yummiest and a couple do not. I have thought about taking them out and returning them for nursing. Why would she have done this? There is another female in her cage with her. Maybe trying to hide them from her?

I havent the slightest idea. My bun is due in a week or so and this will be my first experience with kits. Wishing you the best of luck and hoping someone here can help.

Could you separate the two, so she has the cage to herself? Maybe the other doe is urinating on the nest, marking it? The babies will burrow down into the nest box. Then they'll either come up a bit if they're too warm or when they're uncovered (which, to them, means feeding time). If it were me, I'd separate the other female, at least until the kits are weaned and able to be moved into their own cage.

Remove the other female, she could try and kill the kits, or the 2 females could kill each other because there is kits in there. Babies always burrow themselves right down to the bottom of the nest to keep warm then come up for feeding.

I removes the other female,mom still covers them but not like before. I also have another lion head that had kits two days later. There is a bunny boom at my house! :)

Back