Mom living with kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ambercat

Reaction score
I got a rabbit from someone who accidentally got her pregnant (I had no idea until I found the kits!). She was young, around8 months old when she had the babies. The kits are just turning 6 weeks old on Sat, and it looks to me like one is a boy and one is a girl. I would like to keep all three together in a large NIC cageI built them, and I was planning on getting them spayed/neutered. But, the boy is bothering his mom already so I will have to separate him -- but surely he can't be maturing already at 6 weeks?? He is not fully weaned yet, he eats/drinks but mom still lets him nurse sometimes. What is the earliest age I can have him neutered? Can I just sub-divide the huge pen to separate him for now or will that drive them all crazy? Any advice??

Males can be neutered once the testicles descend. This is usually around 4 months old, but can vary from rabbit to rabbit. If they drop early, some vets might want to wait a bit so the rabbit is a bit older and bigger.

You can divide the cage, but it is a good idea to put something solid between them to prevent mating. Rabbit can mate through the bars of cage and NIC grids are on the larger side of the size of the holes.

I would separate the male once he is weaned. Then get the mom spayed (some vets might want to wait a few weeks after weaning). This will prevent mating. Once the male is old enough, get him neutered. Then once the other female is old enough (about 5-6 months), get her spayed. At this point you can try bonding them back together. I would not put the male back with the females until at least 6 weeks after his neuter (a couple weeks longer if you really want to be safe) and/or after both females are spayed and healed. The 2 females should be ok together, but keep an eye on them especially as the babies get older.

Latest posts

Back