mom died and left 3 babies please help me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand perfectly.....and I'm a breeder even!

At least now you know you won't have any more.....as long as you startseparating out the baby bucks from the mamas when they reach 7-8 weeksold....and maybe have the mamas neutered.

Peg

KimboUNCW1 wrote:
well it was 13 countingthe parents and babies and now 19 :shock::shock::shock:how inthe WORLD did i let this get by me lol

Thanks for pointing this out - I should have said something like that...

It sounds like you're taking good care of them....pictures again soon?

Peg

JadeIcing wrote:
I think you stepped up tothe plate and that is ALOT more than most. You are taking care of themthe best you can. :bunnydance:

OH my goodness! You are doing a wonderful jobhelping the mommas take care of the babies. Thank goodness you know forSURE there aren't any more babies coming.

absolutely!! lol come on now...anyone else want some buns? :pullhair:lol

SO the oldest black baby is about 2 months now... she/he (i def need tofigure that out) is all alone in her own place so she/he's good.

the 3 middle babies were born dec 16th... so they're about 3 weeks and still with mom...

oreo had her 5 the 28th so i'm good for a little while before worrying about them with mom

and cinnabun had her 6 TODAY so i'm just praying she figures out i putthem in a shallow cardboard box instead of the hay (i didn't want themto fall out of the cage any way)... i moved all of her hair and they'repretty much in the same spot just in a more secure area.... they arebraaaand new and so so so tiny aw

oh yeah....i drove to the nearest target 1hr 1/2 away and got 2 boxesof thosewire storage cubes!the boy (milo i namedhim!) is hangin out on the 2nd floor lol.... i had to make it thinnerthen i thought b/ci stilldon't haveenoughroom to put all the cages comfortably but it's waybetter than his last cage

ok so guess what.... the boy just got in thecage with the girl... our genius plan of making him a door, and....well basically i found the boy in there with the lop mom...:shock:so i'm freaking out. should i get her fixed asap??? ifi do, can she still nurse?? i don't want to jeapordize her new litterat all.... someone please help me im going to lose my mind

i mean seriously it seems like a negative cloudhas been over my head for 2 months now lol i think someone else needsto take all my rabbits (except for my oldest black baby) becauseobviously i'm not responsible enough to keep them from having babiesand i dont have the money to get them all fixed

I would think that she can not nurse if she getsspayed but I don't know. I would think that the pain of the surgerywould be enough to keep her from nursing - let alone milk drying up.

BUT - I don't know that for sure. All that I know is that ifit was my decision - the boy would be getting neutered this week andI'd plan on one more litter and pray I didn't get any.....but at leastyou'd know what to watch for as far as mama's milk drying up, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Peg

Her milk won't dry up for a bit - and by thenthe babies will have their eyes open. If need be, you can put them inwith an older litter that has been weaned and the older litter willteach them how to use the water bottle (if that is what you use).

The key thing is that they need to stay with mama and be nursed until their eyes open and they can start to eat.

I'd say that they can probably stay with her for 3 weeks from today and she won't hurt them.

And who knows? Maybe you're in luck and she didn't get pregnant ormaybe she'll have a false pregnancy around day 18 or so and pull furbut not have babies.

However, the key to keeping this from happening again is have dad NEUTERED. ASAP.

Just my .02

Peg

yeah im def going to take him this week....tomorrow if i can. i just really hate the fact that i was soirresponsible here....im trying so hard to do the right thing for therabbits and it seems like it's just an uphill battle that i keep losing

You know what? Some of the best advice I ever got was this...

"Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20."

Looking back - we can always see things we could have done differently. That's life.

Don't beat yourself up over it. You TRIED to do the right thing. Youdid your best to separate them. Perhaps we should have been morespecific and said stuff like, "Make sure he's in a completely differentroom" or "Make sure he's outside if that is what he's used to". Maybewe weren't specific enough in our help.

I suggest that you do the following.

Get a hot cup of tea (or some sort of drink that is comforting). Ifneed be...get chocolate. Enjoy whatever it is and just relaxand let yourself calm down.

Then - pat yourself on the back. You TRIED to do the right thing. Atleast he ONLY got to one doe - not to all three. Right? Soyeah....that's two litters you don't have to worry about. :D

Make the best home you can for the babies till you find them homes.Watch out for the lop mama and just know she'll probably have morebabies. She should probably be ok....but write down today's date and onday 28...start giving her tums so she doesn't have calcium deficiency.

If you can afford to get him neutered - do it asap. If you can't affordit - can you either move him outside or to a completely different room?

Some day you will look back on all this and laugh..or smile. There'senough people out there in the world who will want to beat you up overstuff like this - don't beat yourself up. Learn from it - and move on.

We're here for you.

Peg

KimboUNCW1 wrote:
yeah im def going totake him this week.... tomorrow if i can. i just really hate the factthat i was so irresponsible here....im trying so hard to do the rightthing for the rabbits and it seems like it's just an uphill battle thati keep losing

:yeahthat You've been trying reallyhard. Accidents happen though, and it's no reason to beatyourself up. You're doing a good thing by getting himneutered and it might make him easier to rehome. Hopefullysomeone near you will be able to adopt him and some of your babies whenthey're old enough. That's an awful lot to take careof! I can't even imagine it!

You've gotten some great advice. I just wanted to send some hugs andgood thoughts your way.

You've done all you can to fix the situation. I know how frustrated andstressed you must be, but youre doing great. Just try your hardest tofind these babies loving homes and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Oh, and check out the top of the rescue section for some tips on rehoming.

Good luck!

-Haley

well one of the new babies died :(ibet it was because the dad was in there...maybe he stepped on them orsomething...the other 5 are still doing good....

oreo's 5 have their little eyes open now too.... i put the cream momwith her 3 babies in the new cage too while the dad is secure in his...

thanks for your kind words and support yall

Latest posts

Back