Mom and Dad will not let me get bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbits take up alot of time! I am 14 and I breed and show mini rex. And they take alot of time. Plus they need alest 2 hours floor time a day.

This is why I'm glad I don't have kids, because I would have even more animals than I do currently! LOL! I was able to get a dog, then a couple hamsters in my mom's house, but I had to write a page long essay about the complete care of the animal and how owning that animal will help me in my career in the future. But I ultimately had to wait until I moved out of my mother's house before I was able to get what I really wanted and now i have a dog, 3 cats, 2 rabbits, snake, 3 tarantulas, 2 rats and fish tanks, and I might be getting 2 more snakes soon ;) Just wait it will come. I'm not suggesting going hog wild like I did either, LOL! As it's getting to be a lot of care, but i love it!

Caring for animals has to be something you truly love doing and if you're not helping with the animals that are currently in the home (what i gathered from when you said "they're not even mine"). I probably wouldn't let you get a rabbit either until you showed you can handle and were interested in the animals that were already there. Even if it's something easy as refilling the guinea pig hay, water bottles, helping with the weekly cage cleaning, etc.

The essays my mom made me do, made me be a research fiend! Now I can tell you a ton about care/husbandry/feeding/etc about almost any animal I have owned because I constantly research every aspect of their care, especially diet.

Make sure you respect your parent's wishes.

I have a rabbit name bugs since 2009 Now my brother is in collage he was in 7th grade I think that time think twice if your going to keep ur rabbit that long (ps we still have him)

I don't know.....No good ever came from me convincing my dad to get an animal. I had to wait until I had my own home. My daughters had to wait many years until we had the cash for proper housing, vet bills, food, and so on. It's not just an animal in the house, it's a lifestyle. That may sound creepy, but we find we have to dedicate quite a bit of time and resources to the bunnies.

Our little Lop (Boe) is a rescue from the shelter. She was a house bunny and the pre-teen did not have the time for her. I'm sure the girl loved her bunny, but school and activities take time. It happens.

This may not be what you want to hear, but maybe you should wait until you don't have to ask anyone's permission....Then go nuts. :)

This thread is about a year old, your input is very interesting but if you are trying to help the original poster I am not sure they are still around...

I know this is a year old but I just wanted to comment anyway 😊

And it would be cool for the original poster to come forward and say if they ever got a bunny or if they are still waiting to get one??

I lived out of home when I got Phoenix (20), I wanted a bunny for ages!!! And kept researching and looking at bunnies all over the Internet but I never really realised how much care they needed until I got my little girl. I would never take it back, I love her and she is my pride and joy!
But it is a huge responsibility!! And sometimes very stressful. Vet bills can be very expensive and giving them the time that they need each day is sometimes difficult too. My girl is very spoilt she has a huge exercise pen and toys and tunnels and lots of house room to roam and binky around in! She binkys everynight when I let her out.

I never knew bunnies needed THIS much attention and care but they do! But man oh man they are rewarding! 🐰

Keep researching and keep saving and see what happens.

Back