Molting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CantDutchThis

Reaction score
I know that rabbits molt 1-2 times a year, is this correct?

I have a velveteen lop and was told, or read somewhere that you are not suppose to brush them ( or the rex) because of their special coat and brushing it would ruin it.

Do they still molt? am I suppose to be brushing him?

Thanks.

They do still molt. Some rabbits will molt more than once a year. My brit rocky molted 10 months out of the year.

For rex type fur you can use a shedding or soap stone. They are these porous grey bricks found in a feed store or tack shop for shedding horses. They work VERY WELL for any type of furred rabbit and i see the mini rex breeders using them all the time

You can save money by buying a charcoal brick (from a restaurant supply store) and then cutting it into "Slicker Brush" sizes. They last forever, and it's cheaper than buying one sized for horses. Anything with "equine" on the label has had the price increased by 500%. lol

Wendymac- you don't need to tell me that, I work IN the equine business! too bad employee wages aren't increased by that much hahaha!

Thanks for the tips everyone! Will do!

And just as a side note, brushing rex with a cat brush isn't worth a fluff. *Goes out looking for the brick thing*

Good luck with your molter...I've got one too...not fun!

Latest posts

Back