Molting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcohen1982

Reaction score
Is there different types of molting? I have a JR MR that I want to show in about a week, but she is shedding. I, myself wouldn't call this a molt. But was wondering if people, and judges would. I have included some pictures. Also, it isn't obvious unless you try to brush her. Is any kind of shedding considered molting? I don't want to take her and have her be DQ'ed, stress her out, or look bad since this will be my very first show. Thank you for helping me understand better.

Before being brushed

P1040104.jpg

After about 5 strokes

P1040102.jpg

After about 20-30 strokes

P1040103.jpg

After being brushed

P1040104-1.jpg

Thank you

Rachel

Yes that is molting and no the will not DQ any rabbit for that just take points off for it they will proboly say that the coat is open and is out of shape but they sould not DQ for that but I really dont know how the judges are any more have not been to a show in over 10 years but you can groom right before you put the rabbit on the table.........Toby

That is a molt. Molting, as Toby said, is not a DQ. It is only a small fault. What matters most is the judges' comments. If the judges like her type this time that you show her, then the next time you show her, when she is in coat, she should do very well.
I had to do that with one of my junior bucks. I showed him in september, it was his first show, and he was a little molty. The judges really liked him though, so he skipped the show that was last month, and his next will be Dec. 4th and I am hoping he will do even better.
All in all, there is no reason that you should not take her to the show. She is a junior and the evaluation that you get from the judges there will be very valuable to you in the future.

lelanatty wrote:
That is a molt. Molting, as Toby said, is not a DQ. It is only a small fault. What matters most is the judges' comments. If the judges like her type this time that you show her, then the next time you show her, when she is in coat, she should do very well.
I had to do that with one of my junior bucks. I showed him in september, it was his first show, and he was a little molty. The judges really liked him though, so he skipped the show that was last month, and his next will be Dec. 4th and I am hoping he will do even better.
All in all, there is no reason that you should not take her to the show. She is a junior and the evaluation that you get from the judges there will be very valuable to you in the future.
So true

Latest posts

Back