Molting or health problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oglie2000

Reaction score
I have recently posted here about my bunny having possible GI statsis well she didn't have that after some adjusting to her diet she got over that and is doing fine.

Now I am wondering if she has vitamin deficiency symptoms or if she is molting since spring is coming.

She was shedding and I was brushing her but then on the top of her head she was really shedding to the point where I was getting tufts of fur out each time. Her head isn't bald but the fur is black where is was really shedding. She had the banding/stripping signs on her back that she was shedding for the seasonal changes. I am just not sure why her fur went from the brown, tan, and some black to all black on her head. I just happened to read about the molting patterns on another site and they said a vitamin deficiency sign is orange points on a dark area, that is kind of what it looked like, however I thought it was just the tan fur shedding.

Is your rabbit eating a healthy diet? It sounds like regular molting to me. When I brush my molting rabbits, the new fur underneath sometimes looks almost like velvet. A lot of rabbits have fur that is "banded" that helps make up their coloration. If you blow directly into your rabbit's fur, you can see a circle which will show the different rings of different color bands. That might explain the variation you're seeing as her fur grows in.

I've read that color changes can be due to small temperature differences in the rabbit's environment. So it sounds normal to me.

Sounds like regular molting to me.

What are you feeding?

All of ours are in full tilt molt mode. Peter, a large Chin is the funniest. He molts from bottom to top, so he's got a line down his back that looks like a perfect mohawk.

I feed her rabbit pellets and give her a variety of greens each day, cilantro, romaine lettuce, etc.

I feel better now she did go into molting because now her back end looks like her head. She is getting patches of black fur all over. I just bought a new bigger brush for her so I can get the extra fur off of her.

Here is her current picture in her Easter dress. You can see the black spot on her head.

emmy 024.jpg

Last edited:
Haha! That's an adorable pic :)

Are you feeding hay also? If hay is included, I think her diet sounds plenty healthy :)

Bunny's look pretty funky when they molt (or "mold" as my 4 year old brother would say)

PennyMange_zpsfd668bf2.jpg

Latest posts

Back