Molting! How to slow it down or stop completely,

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccalyn7

Reaction score
Pepper is going through another molt,
Don't want her getting an up set gut,
As she is continuously licking her self.

Tips would be amazing

Bandit is going through exactly the same thing, I'm brushing him daily, and as soon as I brush him, I can pet him and the fur still flies like mad. You can't slow it down, best just to brush daily, even twice a day and encourage lots of hay consumption, as you want as much fiber as possible helping the gut to keep working. Just keep an eye on poops. Bandit has had a couple strung together with hair, but maybe only once a day and the rest are normal. Also make sure she's drinking lots of water, as that will help too. Otherwise there's not much you can do but just try to minimise what she's ingesting by petting her often to remove the fur with your hand and a brush.

Imbrium swears by the Furminator, which I've seen around in a few pet shops. It's much cheaper online but I haven't checked if Amazon ship it to us down here, or if we'd have to look elsewhere. My guys aren't huge shedders (or haven't started yet, at least) so I just brush them once every couple of days.

Best way to manage molt is to groom the rabbit daily, plain and simple. Shedding is natural, it needs to happen and, if your rabbit is prone to hair blockage or, you are concerned about the possibility, get to brushing the rabbit.

I heard pine apple juice helps?

It's so annoying, have to wipe her cage down to ensure the hairs don't go into her food and water.

She has plain pellets and her greens but not a huge fan of hay, eats a few straws a day, not much at all...

Can I put rolled oats and mix it with her pellets to help her gut digest?

Something about the enzymes in pineapple juice is supposed to help, but it needs to be juice from a fresh pineapple (not canned) and you can't give too much because then the sugar starts to interfere with their gut too.

I have no knowledge of the benefits of rolled oats for this, I would just try to encourage eating hay as much as possible. What sort of hay do you buy and what does it look like?

Imbrium swears by the Furminator, which I've seen around in a few pet shops. It's much cheaper online but I haven't checked if Amazon ship it to us down here, or if we'd have to look elsewhere. My guys aren't huge shedders (or haven't started yet, at least) so I just brush them once every couple of days.

Then they haven't shed yet ;) You'll know it when it happens, trust me, lol. Also, I've seen the furminator in stores here, I nearly die every time I look at the price, it's insane.

I've tried normal straw hay, lucerne hay and at the moment trying Timothy.
She just isn't interest in it?
Like shell have a few straws then doesn't touch it again. Until the next day.
How can I encourage her to eat hay?

Rolled oats are high in fibre and low in sugar,
So I'll give her a tea spoon of it.
it's her favourite.

She on,y gets it every second or third day.
I do own a furmitator, but she's not keen on the grooming either at the moment,
She's slowly getting used to it though,
Using little treats

I heard pine apple juice helps?

Can I put rolled oats and mix it with her pellets to help her gut digest?

Pineapple juice theoretically has beneficial enzymes, but it also has a lot of sugar relative to the enzyme amounts. In my opinion, to give enough to provide enough enzymes to make a difference, you'd be giving her a dangerous amount of sugar (which can cause stasis). If you want to try the enzyme route, I *highly* recommend using Oxbow papaya tablets instead - they've got extra concentrated enzymes in them and are actually quite low in sugar.

Rolled oats = carbs; too much carbs in the diet can also cause stasis. While there are some situations where it's beneficial to feed oats of some sort, I definitely wouldn't use them to try to prevent hairballs/stasis.

Fiber and water are the keys to moving hair through the digestive system. If you can't find a hay she'll eat, you might check a local feed store to see if they have hay pellets (ie *nothing* in the pellets but compressed hay). The fiber strands are much shorter than regular hay so it's definitely less effective at keeping things moving, but it's better than nothing (if she'll eat those, I believe you can feed them in unlimited amounts since it's just hay).

God, yes!! Gazzles has a coat that really doesn't respond to being brushed with a traditional brush - I always felt like I was just moving the hair around and even after a lengthy grooming session, I could send a cloud of hair flying just by running my hand down her. The furminator was a godsend for both her and Nala - I can pull so much loose/dead hair out of a bunny in 10-15 mins of furminating that it seems like they oughta have bald spots, lol... it always amazes me how the hair just keeps coming and coming!

Where do I get these oxbow tablets ?
In aus?
And how much are they roughly?

I've tried Oaten hay,
Pepper is not interested in that hay either,
How on earths o I get fibre into her when she is so fussy!

For all the people on here in Aus if I can find a FERMINATOR at a decent price would you all want to get one? I know that the export prices and taxes are crazy if you are trying to order from Amazon in the US/Canada etc.

I remember when I was in England just ordering something simple from the US became such a major hassle, we would call friends to have them buy it and send it over as a gift because the UK government would hit you up for import taxes.

Also the shipping fees from Amazon and Ebay are totally inflated and they jack it up like 200% to make extra money as well. Most of the stuff could be sent without the box or the box flat to save space and get it to you at a cheaper rate. I believe the US Post Office also has an International Flat rate shipping box as well. I used it before to send stuff to Spain to my sister in law.

Vanessa

Charlie
I just posted if you guys down there want one we can work something out.
I know that they jack up the shipping and everything else. I felt that when I was in England.. just let me know..ditto for anything else you want to try to get that Amazon jacks up the shipping for 200%. Just send me an email or PM and let me know!!!

Vanessa

They are well worth the price, I bought one for Gandalf and ended up sourcing a cat one too because they work so well. They don't just brush away the surface loose hair, they comb through to the undercoat too which is great with dense fur like my bunny has. I have cat and bunny hair allergies, not great when I love pets, and as long as I brush the cats and rabbit every few days and make sure to clean up the hair after I stay pretty much itch free.

So I would defiantly recommend looking around ebay and amazon for a furminator. Only the best for our bunnies, and our sanity lol

Here, it is a Furminator, very good price. (look at the picture) I order from Fasttech, it can take up to 30 days to get things, usually 7 to 10 days though. Free Shipping to anywhere.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/2230/10005444/1432419-pet-dog-hair-deshedding-tool

Yeah the price is nice, BUT...

The problem I've had in ordering from Hong Kong, Asia etc is that mostly it sometimes takes MORE than 30 days to get to us if at all. I've had packages disappear from Singapore, Hong Kong, China, etc.. and could not get refunds.

For the most part that is why I will order from within the US. I can track it via US Mail and there is none of the " International orders takes 30 days".

In all honesty there is no more sea mail.

Everything is put on a plane and leaves the country the same day.

People are just sitting on the money and not shipping the minute the order is placed is what I've found. I can get things faster from Europe than Asia. Especially anything that is ordered from China. That is the most iffy mail service I have dealt with.

Vanessa

I wouldn't suggest using oats either. Carbs and sugars will just slow down your rabbits digestion. As Jennifer mentioned, hay and moisture are the best things for good gut motility, and help to keep the gut contents moving through, including any ingested fur.

Will your bun not eat hay because she is picky, or could it be because of something else, such as being overfed pellets/veggies, or possible dental issues can also cause a rabbit to not want to eat certain foods? How much of the pellets and veggies is your rabbit fed each day, and how much does she weigh?

Whether or not pineapple and papaya actually help with ingested fur, is a debatable point. From what I've been able to find, research seems to suggest that it doesn't help, as the enzymes most likely don't survive a rabbits stomach acid. If anything, it is the acidic nature of pineapple juice that may be helpful.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f14/another-tall-tale-enzymes-7199/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/stasis-pineapple-juice-critical-care-74006/index4.html

She's about 2kg
She gets two cups of pellets and a hand full of veggies.
and always has hay available.

I'm going to the vets Wednesday for a vacc,
So I'll get her to check her teeth.

Other than that I think she's just picky..

Well there's your problem. 2 cups of pellets for a 2kg(4.4lb) rabbit, is a huge amount of pellets for such a small bun She's just not hungry after eating all of that food. Recommended pellet amount for a rabbit that size, would be 1/4-1/2 cup of pellets, along with the veg and unlimited hay. I would suggest to gradually start reducing her pellet amount each day, then keep an eye on her hay eating to make sure it increases as pellet amounts decrease.

Latest posts

Back