Molting and Strings of Pearls? How to keep his gut moving?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebugger

Reaction score
Our rabbit is molting badly. He's a mini rex and he is starting to produce strings of pearls. While there could have been something else going on (see my post in health and wellness) prior to the molt, I think whatever it was has worked itself out.

He seems to be eating a lot of greens and hay. Almost kind of demanding for the greens for the last few days, but now slowing down. Eating pellets too, but not as much. He's also getting probiotics with a little banana because he had been on antibiotics a week ago and we are just finishing the tube like our vet suggested.

I'm just a bit concerned about seeing a few bigger strings of pearls - anything I can do to alleviate those? Will the probiotics be enough to help keep his gut moving?

I'm brushing him as much as possible. I am cleaning his cage of any bits of fur. I just want to keep his gut moving since the last string of pearls, or poos with fur stuck together, was a bit larger than the ones I previously saw.

Hay and good hydration(from water and veg) is the best thing for good gut function. In particular, stalky hay, as it contains more indigestible fiber which increases a rabbits gut motility. My rabbits best poops were when they had a mature rye hay with lots of stalks(no seed heads), due to all of the indigestible fiber in it. But the stalks also don't have much nutrition, so you have to find a good balance with leafy hay as well or weight loss could start to occur. Rabbit safe branches like apple or willow also have a lot of indigestible fiber, so are also good. The fact that he is limiting his own pellets actually may be good, as pellets slow down a rabbits digestion, as will sugary starchy foods, so you want to limit those as well.
http://rabbit.org/sluggish-motility-in-the-gastrointestinal-tract-2/

It sounds like he's regulating his diet pretty good. Increased hay and, although controversial, it wouldn't hurt to give him a papaya tablet. When ours are molting I give each rabbit one. So far, we've not had any gut issues during molting.

I second the above, I've been giving my two 1-2 papaya tablets daily depending on how heavily they're shedding since having some scares recently. They love them and so far they seem to be helping.

I've stocked up on the oxbow papaya tablets because they discontinued the product as of September. Not sure what the heck to do after they're all gone...I tried their other digestive support tablet but Sophie had a negative reaction to it. Her poop got smaller..not sure it that was a coincidence or not but it scared me off using it.

Thanks! He's still on a greens kick for now.....but is drinking water and eating more normally on his hay and pellets and is still pooping.....so I think we are in a good place. I was just a bit concerned that he is wanting greens so much.....I didn't know if that meant he was having problems. Things are moving good, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I could do.

Latest posts

Back