Molar spur trim, won't eat hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kada

Reaction score
My rabbit got his molar spurs trimmed on sunday evening, it's now tuesday and he wont eat coarse pieces of hay. He finds the softer ones and ignores the thick ones which he's supposed to eat.

Is this normal after molar trimming? I don't know if I should be concerned or will it go away on its own. His poops are still also a bit darker and smaller than usual. They also smell kind of bad. Also after eating he lies down but not in a comfortable way, it's like he feels uncomfortable after eating.

I have a vet appointment today for his eye but I don't know what to do. They don't want to give pain medicine for home (i don't know why, they just won't give it). I'm scared that the spurs punctured his tongue and cheeks and that's why it's painful to eat the bigger pieces of hay. But the vet for some reason doesn't want to give pain meds to take home..

Any tips?

I looked it up and it seems to be very common, and I would see how he eats for a couple of days, if he continues this strange behavior, then contact the vet again or see a different vet.

I would tell the vet that your rabbit is having trouble eating and that you need take home pain medication(meloxicam). I would be pretty insistent about it. Your bun needs pain medication.

If after on pain meds your bun is still having a problem eating the hay, it could be they burred the teeth down unevenly and it's causing an irregular bite leading to jaw pain when chewing. And if it is this, your rabbits bite would need to be readjusted by the molar surfaces being burred again.

I would tell the vet that your rabbit is having trouble eating and that you need take home pain medication(meloxicam). I would be pretty insistent about it. Your bun needs pain medication.

If after on pain meds your bun is still having a problem eating the hay, it could be they burred the teeth down unevenly and it's causing an irregular bite leading to jaw pain when chewing. And if it is this, your rabbits bite would need to be readjusted by the molar surfaces being burred again.
I'm back from the vet and I got the pain medicine! The vet seemed surprised that he hadn't given pain meds the first time so he probably forgot. I gave the bunny it's first dose and I'll see if it helps.

The vet specializes in teeth so I hope all went well and the teeth are even.

I looked it up and it seems to be very common, and I would see how he eats for a couple of days, if he continues this strange behavior, then contact the vet again or see a different vet.
Back from the vet, I got pain meds for my bunny so I'll see if it helps. The vet specializes in teeth so I don't really know where else to go if things don't start to get better. 😶

Oh no. Keep me posted.
I've been giving him pain medicine and it seems like it's working! He just ate thicker pieces of hay for the first time after the operation. He's also a lot more happier and has more energy now.

The vet said that during the trimming his gums bled because the spurs had gotten too long so that's probably what caused the pain after the operation.

We're not completely in the clear yet but it's definitely looking better!

Back