Mocha & Latte

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaileysMom

Reaction score
Ok for those who don't know I got Mocha and Latte last Friday from a lady who had to let them go because of her asthma. They are 4 months old male/female pair they were both spayed/neutered a month ago.

The lady I got them from had litter all over their cage so at first I thought they weren't potty trained, but since then I have discovered that the female is peeing and spraying pee everywhere when the male chases her. It's driving me crazy. What do I do, should I seperate them? Do I wait it out and pray that their hormones will eventually die down "IF" that is what this is? If I seperate them does that mean I will always have to keep them seperate?

I could really use some advise, the lady told me that they were potty trained except if the litter box got too dirty then they would go in the litter (that was all over) in their cage but now I'm starting to wonder if she didn't realize what was TRULY going on or if she lied.

Please help, this is not what I expected or signed on for, I LOVE their personalities but having to completely clean the cage and the areas surrounding it every day is getting a little much.

Um, I would certainly keep an eye on them and definitely separate them for the time being!! Are you totally sure they were fixed? Hormones can take a while to totally disappear and not only can he still produce sperm (I think) but she can get pregnant. Females can take some time to work out everything from their system. If they're teenagers then they're just growing up too. :p

The way I see it, you've got three scenarios:

1) They're both neutered/spayed, but it's just taking awhile for the hormones to work out of their system. It can take several months for the hormones to completely disappear.

2) The male has been neutered, but not the female. So while they can't make babies, she's still just as hormonal as before.

3) They're not actually neutered/spayed and you need to separate them immediately.

I'd probably get someone rabbit savvy to check them out to tell you for sure.

Acacia-Berry:Yes, boys can be potent for up to 6 weeks after neutering, but once the testicles are gone, they can't produce more sperm. It's justsome sperm can be left behind in the vas deferans/tubes that connect to the testicles. However, if she's been spayed (her uterus removed), then it won't matter if he's potent for a few weeks, because he can't breed her.

Hope that helps!

Rue

They have definitely been spayed/neutered, in fact you can see where the hair is shorter from where they shaved it for the surgery and it looks like it's been growing back for a month, so I don't doubt that at all.
That was the FIRST thing I double asked her and checked. However now that I think about it, she did tell me that when they neutered Latte they could only find one testicle, so could that be the problem? Is it possible for a vet to not find one of the testicles during surgery? Does that mean that it actually wasn't there?

Thanks funnybunny!!! For Clarifying :)
Hmm, just an uneducated (bc I never owned males) opinion but could it be that maybe he was too young and was not even fully developed? Like I said I have zero knowledge on males and neutering but also if the vet was inexperienced and attempted a neuter then only snipped one and tied him back up it could be possible? I would liken it to human men when they have a testicle removed due to cancer or something and they can still produce sperm.

I don't know, that is what I am kind of thinking also, or maybe it's just because it's spring and even though they are fixed the hormones haven't completely worn off and he really wants to play lol, either way yesterday I bit the bullet (I really didn't want to) But I seperated them in different cages and figure I will still let them out to play together on LINOLEUM only lol so that way they stay bonded or use to each other, and then once everything calms down I can rejoin them back together. But as for last night, the 1st night since I got them that there has been NO pee mess WHOOOHOOOO!!!! You don't know what a relief it is to not have to completely tear apart a cage and throughly clean it and the surrounding area, I was doing this on a daily basis, as long as touch ups throughout the day.

So here's to hoping that the hormones will calm down and they can be rejoined soon.
I would LOVE to hear everyone's thoughts on Latte's neuter, I forgot to ask her what vet she took them to darn it, but I believe the only vets that actually do rabbits in this area are pretty knowledgable w/ them which kinda throws me.

Okay, since I split them up the peeing has come to an end, every day they get to play together in an exercise pen while being supervised they have done sooo good and NO pee issues that I thought I would try giving them run of the living/dining/kitchen room (we have a very open floor plan) OMG out of all 6 of the bunnies that reside here those two are by far the most inquisitive, most brave and into everything. None of my bunnies will really go on my couches much, they might adventure there once or twice but it's nothing common, yesterday was Mocha and Latte's 2nd day to get free running time and they were all over my couches, they aren't afraid of my kitchen floor like the rest and go absolutely everywhere. Is this normal for dutches or do I just have 2 little inquisitive brave ones?

Latest posts

Back