Mixing buns!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody!!

I currently have a mini lop named angus! He lives in our little flat with us and he loves it he sits on our laps and nudges our hands for a stroke! He has the free run of the flat all time and is a very spoilt little boy! He has been neutered and is about 8 months old.

I would love to get a new baby bun to keep him company as me and partner both have new jobs which keep us out the house for a long time during the day. He has lots of toys to play with so he is never bored but I would love to be able to introduce a baby bun to the family!!

Would this be bad?? What breed? What sex?? I don't want to loose my connection with my bun, would getting another one harm our bonding as he wouldn't need me as much??

Please help!!!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1389952113.167199.jpg

I *highly* recommend adopting an adult shelter rabbit. With a baby, you can't truly bond them until after the younger rabbit gets older and is spayed/neutered; you also can't really let your current rabbit choose a companion because babies haven't grown into their true personality yet and they get along with pretty much anyone. Once hormones come into play, all bets are off. Basically, if you get a baby and the two seem to get along, that doesn't guarantee they'll still be compatible when the baby becomes an adult.

M/F is traditionally considered the easiest combo to bond, but a growing number of people (myself included) are deciding that personality is honestly more important than gender when determining compatibility (though the odds of lucking into a compatible pair may be higher with a male and a female, a same sex bond can be perfectly viable with the right personality combo). I have two bonded girls and am working on adding a male to form a trio :D.

Many shelters allow you to bring your altered rabbit in to have "bunny dates" with their adoptable bunns. This is the ideal way to go, as you can let your rabbit pick his own friend! As an added bonus, shelter bunnies are already fixed, saving you a lot of money, time and hassle (the time and hassle being because you'd have to keep them housed separately for longer before you could begin the bonding process). Most shelters that allow bunny dates (and even many who don't) will allow you to exchange a bunny you've adopted for a different bunny if you end up feeling that you simply aren't able to bond the two bunnies.

Since it sounds like you're new to the whole bonding thing, here's some good sites on the subject:
http://www.wheekwheekthump.com/?s=bonding (numerous wonderful articles)
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp (overall a good site, but I disagree with some of their claims; they have an old-school "M/F is the only viable pairing" mentality)
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

Oh, I forgot to answer a couple questions... breed doesn't matter a bit - it's all about personality!

It shouldn't harm your relationship with him if you continue to give him the same amount of attention. I do find that my solo bunn is much "needier" about his cuddles than my girls - they run, thump, dodge and generally just try to avoid my attention while he begs for it... however, the girls' behavior seems to all be an act - once they've been caught, they melt under my hand and "purr" their butts off.

Basically, a solo bunny is more likely to seek attention - with a bonded pair, you generally have to be the attention-seeker and reach out to them. However, a bonded bunny is just as capable of loving you as a solo bunny. Think of it this way - as a human, you need the companionship of other humans... but you still crave the companionship your bunny provides and appreciate the ways that relationship differs from those you have with the humans in your life. A bunny is no different - just because they have a bonded companion doesn't mean they don't still have room in their hearts for you!

I have a unique and special bond with each of my three bunnies, as does my boyfriend (and I can see how their relationships with him differ from the ones they have with me). Nala and Gaz were with me (and each other) for nearly a year before Jay came into their lives and despite having another bunny AND a human as companions, they slowly but surely opened up to him (granted, Nala tested him significantly, lol). At this point, I honestly don't think any of them have a favorite human - they seem to appreciate each of us for our own reasons.

[By the way, with a pair, Jay and I have both found it extremely helpful to have one-on-one time with each bunny (or 2-on-1 with the "2" being humans) on a regular basis - getting them away from the other bunny for their own solo snuggle session really helps to strengthen bunny-to-human bonds]

Last edited:
Wow thankyou so much! I read through all the links you sent me and your information is very helpful!!

Defiantly going to take your advice on board and get in contact with some bunny shelters! I love bonding with my rabbit and when I'm home I give him lots of tlc! So bonding a new rabbit in should be lots of fun!!

Thankyou for all the tips I'll keep posted on what I do!!

X

No problem! We have lots of people here who are experienced with bonding, so you can always come to us if you have questions or run into trouble :).

It's also worth noting that it takes up to 4 weeks for a female's hormones to die down after a spay and 6-8 weeks for a male's hormones to die down after a neuter. Depending on how long a bunny has been in the shelter, they may still be hormonal during the play-date and that can affect things. A hormonal bunny is more likely to hump and/or attack (though humping can also be a dominance display unrelated to hormones - my Gazzles was spayed over a year ago, and she was humping the crap out of Normie when I had a brief bonding session the other night. To be fair, he did it first, though his excuse is hormones - it's been about 3 weeks since his neuter)... but at the same time, not all bunnies who are hormonal will react undesirably to another rabbit. You just have to play it by ear.

I recommend finding out how long ago each bunny was altered before putting them with yours - that way you know going in that you'll need to try to determine what behavior is probably due to hormones vs what's a true indication of how the bunnies are getting along.

Hopefully a shelter that allows bunny-dating will have an employee/volunteer very familiar with bunny-bonding there to guide you through the process and point out the various signs for you; however, this isn't always the case so it's good to go in prepared in case you have to do most of the "translating".

Bunny-date body language/behavior guide:
1) Ignoring each other or only showing mild interest - IDEAL; match has a very high chance of success.

2) One bunny licking or grooming the other (lickee is accepting) - positive; moderately high chance of success.

3) Bunnies exchange grooming (both of them groom and get groomed) - IDEAL; very high chance of success.

4) Seeming quite interested in each other, lots of sniffing and such - neutral; could go either way, so watch closely. At this point, they're sizing each other up. They're inclined to like each other, but that could easily change.

5) Circling each other - probably negative; liable to escalate into fighting (or possibly a hump war; see below). Monitor, but don't break it up immediately.

6) One bunny much more interested in the other - neutral; watch closely to see whether the less interested bunny is going to take offense/get annoyed.

7) Humping - neutral-to-negative; let it go for 5-10 seconds as long as the humpee is taking it well, then separate (preferably with a spray bottle, a loud noise, a foot, etc. so you're not inserting yourself too much). If the humping resumes right away (after multiple separations) but the other bunny still isn't getting upset, call it quits on the play date before they change their mind - this is likely a good match, but the bunny doing the humping may need more time for their hormones to die down before bonding truly starts.

8) Hump-war (both bunnies trying to hump each other) - negative, likely to escalate into fighting, but not necessarily a deal-breaker; if the one who instigated the humping is potentially still hormonal and your bunny only humped in response to being humped, then it might actually be a decent match once hormones are no longer in play. (I had this happen with Gaz and Normie the other night - she ignored his humping for quite some time but as soon as I added Nala to the bonding pen, Gaz suddenly started humping Norm back. When he could hump Nala while Gaz humped him, things seemed ok... however, when Nala escaped and the other two were left alone, a hump-war started and quickly started to escalate).

If neither bunny is potentially hormonal and a hump-fest ensues, deal with it the same way you would deal with fighting (see #12 below).

9) Bunny with their ears pinned back against their head but their eyes wide open (ie they're not extremely relaxed) - negative; indicates annoyance and a bunny on the verge of attack. [With a lop, you have to pick up on much more subtle cues - I swear I saw it on Gaz's face around the mouth area when she got fed up with Normie near the end of their last play date (she didn't try to bite but I swear I saw her considering it) and I broke that up ASAP.]

10) Ears upright, especially if moving around as though they're curious - positive; bunny feels neither threatened nor inclined to attack.

11) Chasing - borderline negative on the way to going very badly; put a stop to it immediately.

12) Fighting - potentially negative; give them a moment to work things out if they don't look like they're going to hurt each other... if it seems to continue/escalate rather than quickly dying down, break it up. Separate rabbits, calm them down, then try again. If they go right back to wanting to fight, the match is unlikely to work. If they can sort things out and simmer down fairly easily, then the match stands a decent chance of working out.

I'm sure there are other things I've forgotten (or have yet to learn), but those are some of the main ones. If anyone else has something to add, I'd love to hear it as I hope to talk the HSPCA into letting me supervise bunny dates (which they currently don't allow) and teach others how to supervise them so I could use all the info I can get :D.

Anyway, the bottom line is that aside from chasing and truly vicious fighting, you should never barge into the middle of things and break up a situation the second you see a negative sign. Always give them at least 5-10 seconds to work things out amongst themselves unless the situation escalates to chasing or vicious fighting sooner than that. Scuffles happen - they've gotta work out who's going to be the boss. It's ok for them to challenge each other as long as one of them agrees to submit before things get too serious!

I took your advice on board and found a couple of places for my little guy to go on a date! I am defiantly going to be taking these notes with me as there are something's on there that I thought were good thing for buns to do which you've said are negative! This forum is so good for people like me that love their buns but not very experienced! So it's really helpful for you to comment back!

You should defo try and get into supervising bunny dates you sound very experienced in that field sounds perfect for you!!

I'm now very excited to start my search for a new bun to add to the family!! Now I know what to look for and expect in bonding them hopefully I'll do a good job and they will be best buds!

Thanks for all your help!! Any more tips id love to hear them! Xxx

When I introduced my bunny to my friends they chased each other around quite a lot and kept sniffing each other. Angus' ears were fine but my friends buns ears were pinned back. I thought this was a good sign as they looked like they were interested in each other and we're playing but now I've read what you said I can see it now as when the other bun had gone angus seemed to settle down again, as from when the bun was here he didn't come near us and he couldn't settle. I didn't really realise this until you said! So won't be inviting that bun round again haha! X

Heh, yeah. Bunnies don't do the "casual friends" thing ><

Ears pinned back can be one of the tougher ones interpret correctly, since an extremely content and relaxed bunny will lay their ears back against their body - most people who haven't tried bunny intros/bonding have only ever seen their bunny put their ears back in a positive way. It's the look in their eyes that tells you whether they're really happy or really annoyed.

Oh god! I've got a lot to learn! I'm looking forward to reading more up about this before I go on a bunny date! Thanks for your help! X

It's a lot to learn and it can sound pretty scary when you've only ever read about it... but don't worry, once you start getting some actual experience with bunny intros and bonding, you'll probably pick it up really fast! The fact that you've got a close relationship with your bunny and know him very well will help a great deal :).

This is really great information I can't believe how much I never knew about my little guy I have come to the realization that I can't get a second bunny yet. I have a lot of work to do with the one I already got :)

This is really great information I can't believe how much I never knew about my little guy I have come to the realization that I can't get a second bunny yet. I have a lot of work to do with the one I already got :)

Well, you've come to the right place to learn - RO is full of great information :D.

Latest posts

Back