Mixing Alfalfa+Timothy Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookieNCream

Reaction score
Yesterday we all went down to Petsmart to buystuff for our bunnies and our dog. Although we had a big bag of alfalfapellets that we just opened, we bought another bag that had timothypellets. Wanted to mix'em before giving them all Timothy pellets, sinceour bunnies grew quite a lot.

So we got this huge bowl (not a bowl..this BIG thing) and mixed themin, took the cereal-looking thing out (used for treats for Cream), andput the pellets into jars. It filled three and a half jars :shock:

So we filled the bunnies' bowls and they ate some.

Mixing pellets is okay, right? HOURS after I mixed them did I think, "wait, what if you aren't supposed to do that?" :-O

I don't think they're picking out the alfalfa ones only (that was theiroriginal pellets), because they all look the same (at least to me) andthey have timothy hay all the time.

Oh, and do you think it's okay if we fed them some veggies now? Cookiedoesn't like the cereal-thing and since he's my bunny I want to givehim some special treat. =)

Thanks!!

Hey Sweetie! :)

Okay, you're okay mixing them, but they should continue eating thosealfalfa pellets (unlimited supply daily, just fill their bowls wheneveryou see they're emptying) until they're about a year old because theyneed the vitamins and such that are in them for all the growing theirbodies are doing.

You're okay having mixed them...don't worry...in fact, when you switchthem over to Timothy pellets when they're older (and done growing, atabout a year old), you'll have to do it gradually like that.

Just keep an eye out for any mushy poops or anything like that. They should be just fine, though. :)

So...don't worry...just try to continue alfalfa pellets, ok?

Hugs!

Rosie*

P.S. Here's a GREAT site that gives GREAT dietary information for bunnies:
http://www.carrotcafe.com/diet/index.html

As far as a good type of pellet, I recommend going by the percentages of things recommended in this article:
http://www.lagomorphs.com/pellets.pdf

Hey there - how old are the buns now?You can start giving them little bitsof veggies a little at atime and watch their poop for if they get an upset tummy anddiarreah. You don't want to give them too much atonce. I started Charlie on a tiny bit of veggies every nowand then once he was about 3 months old, but some wait until they areolder to start them.

For a treat you can also try a tiny bite of apple or banana or someother fruit, but keep the piece very small so you can see if they get abad stomach.

________
Nadia

Oh thanks!!

Before I knew enough about them, I gave them some mini carrots and theyloved them =/ I think bits of apple would be nice. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back