Mixed Signals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrampNPigeon

Reaction score
I have read a lot here, learning tons every timeI visit. So far, everyone seems to agree that if a bunny ismaking a chittering type of noise, grinding his teeth then he is sayingthat he is happy. I'm starting to think that Tramp is justthe opposite. He is starting his molting again and so Ipicked up a slicker brush for him to maybe help with the fur depositssome. The first night I herded him into a laundry basket(I've been trying to avoid picking them up when I can so they feel likethey can trust me) and started brushing him. He sat prettystill the first night and eventually started grinding histeeth. I was thinking this would be great... now I have abonding thing I can do with him, since he is the least approachable ofthe two, even now. So, the next night I try the same thing,only this time he starts the teeth grinding much earlier and at thesame time he's looking for an escape from the basket. Imanaged to keep him in, but with some effort,and he wasbrushed again. Then last night we go for round three and heis having none of it! Again, he started the teeth grindingright away, then VAULTS out of the basket and takes off running likethe boogy-man is right on his tail. So, what's the verdicthere. Any clues as to why he's acting like this and givingall these mixed signals or am I just missing something. Ihave to go to work right now, but I'll check in later to see whateveryone is saying. Also, more stories and possibly evenpictures tonight!

-Cheryl

Teeth grinding can also be a sign of extremeagitation. I was judging a Satin doe last week that simplydespised me. I finally got her posed, had my handover her head and could feel her grinding her teeth in anger.That's a good warning to watch your fingers!

We used to have a horse that would grind her teeth like that when shewas agitated. It was an extremely annoying noise ---- Come tothink of it, my husband does that also :shock:

It's possible that you are pulling out fur and causing some discomfortwhile brushing. Try making it a more pleasant experience byusing a moist towel and rubbing it over the coat to remove loose fur.

Pam

Thanks a ton Pamnock... I will try that insteadtonight. That is if he'll still let me get close tohim. I was trying to be careful with the brush that I wasn'tpulling too hard but I know some critters just have sensitive skin nomatter what you do with them.

-Cheryl

The only time I have experienced a rabbitgrinding its teeth was when one of mine had a severe ear infection. Iasked my vet why she was making this noise and he told me that whenbunnies grind their teeth it means they are in pain.

So maybe your Bunny has sensitive skin!

Sue

My boys hate the slicker brush, it's hard ontheir skin and pulls the hair I think. I switched to using horsebrushes, which don't remove the hair as well, but are much softer andmore enjoyable. My boys see the slicker brush and run for their lives.Using one doesn't help with bonding if your bunny hates it.

Latest posts

Back