Mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellalop

Reaction score
Does this look like it could possibly be mites?
I couldn't get very good photos as she doesn't like to be held at the best of times!
She has this dandruff on the head and ears and under ears but no where else on the body as far as I can tell. There aren't any bald spots apart from fur a bit thin on ears but think that's normal. Did read about walking dandruff but can't see anything moving.
I will take her to the vet if necessary but wondered if there is a treatment I could buy instead? I'm in the UK. I've been looking it up but unsure what's best?
I got another rabbit a month ago and whilst he is fine wondering if she could have got them from him if it is that.

Attachments

• PXL_20220718_121538723.jpg
    PXL_20220718_121538723.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220718_121554738.jpg
    PXL_20220718_121554738.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 0
It most likely is fur mites if it's just dandruffy skin and maybe some fur loss. If there's also scaly skin, it's something else.

Fur mites is treated with ivermectin or selamectin. You have Xeno 450 for rabbits, that is otc in the UK. Stronghold (selamectin) can also be used, but that might require a prescription. If Stronghold is otc too, that's what I would use, though it's probably more expensive. The Xeno is fine too, just some types of rabbits can be sensitive to it(Dutch, VC, BEW, etc).

Medirabbit: fur mites

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Mites

Latest posts

Back