Mites, Molting, or Something else?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittanyandFruFru

Reaction score
My Rabbit FruFru is an 9 month old mini lop.
Here lately I have noticed him scraching alot he has bald spots around his neck but I have also noticed alot of shedding. The only sign of skin irritation I have noticed is from scraching. My vet is an hour away, and is always stressful for FruFru. So before I stress him by dragging him to the vet is there any way I can tell if he is just molting or if it could be fleas or mites or something?

I would suspect mites or fleas if he is scratching... you can have total bald spots during a molt but not irritated skin from scratching.

Fleas would be visible if you looked through his fur; mites most often can be seenmicroscopically but many times they are difficult to see on a slide
maybe you could talk to the vet and possibly he would send you some Revolution for puppies/kittens (in the mauve packaging ). The generic name for Revolution is selamectin and it would take care of both fleas and mites.

Advantage can also be used ,however , Revolution is preferred.
it still would be best to actually have him seen by the vet if at all possible

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Anti_parasitics/safe_antiparasitic.htm

Latest posts

Back