Mites a constant battle

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desma

Reaction score
My vet told me that my rabbit must have a very low immune system. She is five years old and constantly gets mites unless I get her shots of ivermetin. I have cleaned the bedding and changed it and changed the cage etc and done everything to insure that she was not getting reinfected. It is so sad for her and very sad for me to see her getting infested all the time. I never allow the infestation to get serious, as soon as I see that they are back, I act right away so she don't have to have the discomfort. I wish there was a cure for her. Using that natural powder white substance (forget name) does not work. I cannot use Frontline and my vet does not carry revolution and it seems cheaper just to get the shots of ivermetin instead. She always seems to get them first in her tail area.

How long has your rabbit had mites?

It does take more than one round of Ivermectin to treat the mites. Their lifecycle is something like 7-10 days. For prevention, you can treat with one dose once or twice per year. But to actually cure mites, it's best to treat again 7-10 days after the first dose.

query: do you allow your rabbit to go outside at all? Do you have carpet in your house? Mites can sit and hide in both places it seems like forever.

What kind of mites is she getting? fur mites?

If you are treating with ivermectin, you need to treat once, and then 8 days later. Do that and they should be gone. If she is getting infested then the mites need to be coming from somewhere and you need to figure out the source.

Could they come in on the hay? Any wood?

We definitely need some more details on where you keep your rabbit and what sort of mites she's being diagnosed with.
Even if your vet doesn't carry revolution, they should be able to write you a prescription which you could fill at, say one of the online pet pharmacies (e.g. 1800petmeds).

I have been taking her to the vet for shots about every month or other month for a couple years. I confined her and she does not go on the rug and I even changed her indoor coop to a lovely big one that my husband made for her. She uses a litter pan. She used to hop around the house until I could not control her chewing on the carpet. I am wondering if she gets them in the timmothy hay. She gets scarcoptic mites, the horrible ones that is like walking dandruff and opens the skin up if you try to remove the crust. I am thinking of getting her to write me a prescription for Revolution. I wish you could buy it here like other flea meds and it is a shame we cannot use Frontline on rabbits. Hunny Bunny is a mini lop and she is five years and a bit old. It is a shame that she is constantly plagued with these rotten things. When she gets them by her tail, it can turn into a yeast infection around her private area. I use a good cream from the vets to remove that when it happens. I clean her really good but remember that these mites thrive in warm moist areas. I just wish her immune system could fight them off. None of our other pets have any.

This sounds very frustrating.

I would definitely talk to your vet about the option of using revolution (selamectin). They should be able to write you a prescription that you could fill online or even order it for you. It may be more expensive than the ivermectin injections though, but I would think it's worth a shot. Also discuss with your vet the difference in half life of selamectin in rabbits as compared to cats and dogs.

Sarcoptes scabiei is the mite that causes sarcoptic mange, but it's actually a different mite, Cheyletiella, that is known as walking dandruff.

I'm sure you know this, but just in case and for future reference, Sarcoptes scabiei is zoonotic and can be passed to/from humans and other pets. I'm wondering if you and/or your other pets have even just a few and are passing them back to her after she's treated. They can also live in the environment.

The mites she has makes huge white flakes of skin but also a hole underneath the bump of skin. I think these are scarcoptic. Since she has no contact with any of my other pets, I cannot figure out how she keeps getting them back except for getting them in the Timmothy hay and I would like to stop giving her that if that is where they come from but it is so important to her diet. The mites she has, the skin opens and bleeds if you remove a scab. Pretty horrible poor girl.

Has she ever had a skin scraping done and had the mites looked at under the microscope? Your vet should be able to look at them visually and confirm what kind of mites they are.

:scared:
My vet told me that my rabbit must have a very low immune system. She is five years old and constantly gets mites unless I get her shots of ivermetin. I have cleaned the bedding and changed it and changed the cage etc and done everything to insure that she was not getting reinfected. It is so sad for her and very sad for me to see her getting infested all the time. I never allow the infestation to get serious, as soon as I see that they are back, I act right away so she don't have to have the discomfort. I wish there was a cure for her. Using that natural powder white substance (forget name) does not work. I cannot use Frontline and my vet does not carry revolution and it seems cheaper just to get the shots of ivermetin instead. She always seems to get them first in her tail area.
----blood suckers will make for a anemic immune/rabbits (being prey animals)-do require a healthy immune system-,-otherwise opportunistic bacteria take hold,,--you mentioned revolution--try advantage-for the blood sucking buggers,,and continue a healthy diet of grasses-ie.timothy/orchard,,quality pellets,,water-some treats,,-sincerely james waller--:bunny22:--on second thought this sounds chronic,have a culture or blood test done--and if you cannot find advantage -google reber ranch for directions just off hiway 18 toward auburn...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using advantage on her for some time. I give her fresh spinach and a couple little miniature carrots in the morning and timmothy hay every day. She does love her food. I also have been giving her sunflower seeds, she loves them and since her weight is good, I let her have as many as she wants. Her coat is pretty because of the sunflower seeds.

Has she ever had a skin scraping done and had the mites looked at under the microscope? Your vet should be able to look at them visually and confirm what kind of mites they are.

I agree that she should get skin scrapings and a definitive diagnosis if possible. If she truly has had mange mites for so long I would also recommend that you have your vet do a blood panel on her; it is possible that there is some other problems going on affecting her immune system,
Mange mites alone can cause anemia.
You mentioned timothy hay? Where does it come from ?

Latest posts

Back