Mite Treatment Questions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I have two questions with regards to external mite treatment options:

1) Are there any for rabbits?

2) Has anyone successfully used them (or other external mite treatments) on a cat? (I know that members here also have feline friends; I thought I'd at least ask.)

I realize that performing a sulfer-lime (or a lime-sulfur?) dip is possible for a cat, but my guy is downright nasty at the vet's; I can't foresee anyone else successfully bathing him.

One extermintor suggested that I mix talcum powder with flea powder, saying that such a mixter does kill mites, as well. I realize that this mixture likely isn't safe for rabbits, though; I'd like to consider other options.

BTW, all four animals have been treated (with Revolution and Ivermectin) for a long spell now. We're uncertain if we should resort to external treatments, but any little bit may help at this point.

Thank you,

Jenk

Our cat gets very flaky skin that I'm assuming is a mite condition. Frontline plus from the pet store clears it right up.

Pam

I thought Revolution was an external treatment? I know at the shelter they all get a drop of something applied to the nape of the neck when they come in.

tonyshuman wrote:
I thought Revolution was an external treatment? I know at the shelter they all get a drop of something applied to the nape of the neck when they come in.

DOH! Technically, Revolution is an external treatment. :biggrin2: But since it's absorbed into the skin and essentiallyworks internally, I consider itan internal (albeit a transdermal) treatment.

I was just wondering if there's anything else external that could also be applied, if the itching/scratching seems to increase again--especially when we finally stop applying Revolution.

Anything applied to the skin will be absorbed through the skin, including any type of powders.

Sevin dust is labeled for use in cats - you might give that a try. (In rare cases, some cats have a reaction to it.)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Anything applied to the skin will be absorbed through the skin, including any type of powders.
Good point (assuming that it's thorougly rubbed down to the skin).
Sevin dust is labeled for use in cats - you might give that a try. (In rare cases, some cats have a reaction to it.)
I will read up on Sevin. Thanks for the info.!

Ebony has had an external treatment for fur mites this past week. I'm not sure exactly what the vet used (sorry) but it was a spot treatment put at the base of her neck-top of her shoulders area.

It left her with a greased fur area but she has beenscratching farless since. Apparently a course of these treatments (once every 1-2 weeks) is normal for a very established mite infestation, but a single treatment can be enough in mild cases.

Jo xx

Well, hopefully it goes away completely. Keep us posted.

I just wanted to post a post Randy posted awhile back on ear mite treatment...it's a new one!

"...The best treatment I have seen for ear mites is a drug called Acarexx....and it does need a RX. The advantage of this drug is that it needs to be dosed only once. It is an ear drop. I use the kitten version and use 1 vial in each ear. Revolution would be my second choice and Ivermectin if I had to."

Randy

Latest posts

Back