Mite treatment- black skin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fionablack2

Reaction score
Hello. My two French lops have had 3 treatments of pancur for mites. My eldest (who was the one with the ‘dandruff’ ) now has black skin where the flaky skin was. I did put one or two drops on that spot but also drops elsewhere that have not gone black.
is it normal for the infected area to turn black as it heals?

A photo would be helpful. Black skin is associated with literal necrotic, deteriorating tissue, which seems very unlikely considering your description (and lack of mention of gross oozing or smells...). Black skin could also be perceived from maybe bruising/internal bleeding, but that also doesn't seem likely. Irritation from treatment would appear red/irritated, as opposed to black.

Hi! vet prescribed pancur for the mites? did you mean panacur? I've never heard of this being used to treat mites

Hi! vet prescribed pancur for the mites? did you mean panacur? I've never heard of this being used to treat mites
Didn't even register this. Indeed, treating mites with Panacur isn't something I've heard of and also Panacur is not a topical med at all --is this a typo?

Didn't even register this. Indeed, treating mites with Panacur isn't something I've heard of and also Panacur is not a topical med at all --is this a typo?
Oops! My mistake! No it was invermectin! (Using panacur for my tortoise just now 🤦‍♀️)
It def seems to be the skin.

Attachments

• 7B283311-2C40-42CB-8FC3-00178BF67D2A.jpeg
    7B283311-2C40-42CB-8FC3-00178BF67D2A.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 8
Oops! My mistake! No it was invermectin! (Using panacur for my tortoise just now 🤦‍♀️)
It def seems to be the skin.
I'm not sure if there's topical version ivermectin.

looks like your bun still has a bit of mites. how many times has ivermectin been given?

I'm not sure if there's topical version ivermectin.

There is in Europe. It's called Xeno 450.

I don't see anything terribly alarming in the photo. To me it just looks like maybe a little bruising or darker skin from a healing scab. It could also just be a normal spot of darker skin pigmentation.

Latest posts

Back