Mississippi's Show Career Is Over

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, thanks Blue Giants.

At 5:00 (wow a whole hour passed already!? It's 6:00 as i type this ;)) we went out to do the evening chores. I let Sippi out right away, and plopped him on the grooming stand. He had some hay and grass to nibble on, and I cleaned the wound with some Hydrogen Peroxide, and then dabbed some neosporin on it.

After that, I put him back in his cage; cleaned out all the old hay, smoothed out the shavings, and then I took out his dirty litter box; scooped all the pooh out, (there was none left when i was done!) Smoothed out the litter, put a fresh thin layer of shavings over it, and then a medium layer of fresh litter over top ;) I was going to spray it with this disinfecting stuff that helps clean and odorize, but I forgot too! Mainly (in his cage), I was just making sure to give him clean quarters so his nicely cleaned wound wouldn't get infected. ;)

The wound is actually healing up very nicely, too! :) I mean, it's good that it's healing up, but it still is horrible that it happened!

Sippi sits so nicely for me while I disinfect his wound. You would think that Hyd. Per. would sting, but I guess it doesn't bother him....although, having a chunk of ear ripped off couldn't even come close to the short stinging sensation of Hyd. Per. on the wound!!

Emily

That's so nice of you BlueSky to make his cage all nice and clean for him. I bet he loved that from you. Good job!

Well I just hope that Sippi's ear does grow back out, so then you can show him. But I wouldn't sell him just because of that chunk of ear missing. I would still keep him as a pet and put him up for stud. Just like the other people were saying. Sippi is such a loving boy. :biggrin2:

I hope I didn't offend anyone. :D

I hope you get well soon Sipp! :nurse:

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I cleaned the wound with some Hydrogen Peroxide, and then dabbed some neosporin on it.
I was under the impression that it was better not to use hydrogen peroxide because it kills the infected cells and the healthy cells. Just cleaning it with water/soap and then putting neosporin on in might be better.

The other way we clean is to boil some water and add some salt then let it cool and clean with that it seems to work well ;)

I am so sorry Emily :(, I have had a couple that have managed to get each other through their runs and have a nip luckily nothing to drastic and they have healed ok.

I'm sure if you work towards getting a doe you will get wonderful babies from Sippi and they can go compete in his honour :) Let us know how you get on. I know how disapointing it can be

polly wrote:
The other way we clean is to boil some water and add some salt then let it cool and clean with that it seems to work well ;)
Wouldn't that burn like a son of a gun though? The soap and water is usually what I use, mainly because I know it won't sting or anything.

gentle giants wrote:
polly wrote:
Wouldn't that burn like a son of a gun though? The soap and water is usually what I use, mainly because I know it won't sting or anything.

I would NEVER use salt to clean a wound. It would STING!!! Just use good ol' fashioned soap and water.

Sharon

Well I use that or dilute savlon mixed with water. But i would never use soap in an open wound so maybe i have my wires crossed on that one. But once the salt has dissloved it is fine and seems to give it a good clean as does the dilute savlon. Then i would put an antiseptic lotion on it.

These days I think the recommended treatment is to only clean around the edges with peroxide if that's what you have on hand. It's not recommended for use in open wounds, especially on rabbits, mainly because it really stings and canshock them, and there is evidence it destroys healthy cells, although the effect onhealing is still a point of contention (if my memory is working).

Best course of action with wounds is towash out any dirt or debris (if necessary) with a mild saline solution and/or use something like Betadine (my choice, non-stinging, safe to lick and effective) or a triple antibiotic ointment (like Neosporin, but not Neosporin Plus with pain relief) to prevent infection.

A bite on the ear is probably best treatedwith just a warm compress followed by liberal applications of Betadine.

sas :bunnydance:

Really Tundra? If so, thanks for telling me! But what Pipp said (about cleaning the edges) is what we were doing. Since the wound is just basically the sides of his ear where the flesh tore, we were just putting peroxide on those edges, if that makes sense? Like the side of a piece of paper, just dabbing those...well his ears, not the paper ;)

The neosporin we have is just plain Neo w/o the pain relief. We got it to treat bunnies sore hocks (and it came with a case and two bandaids- boy that came in handy when Willow bit me last Friday!) and we squeeze some Neo onto a cotton pad and then put it on their feet, or we put it on our fingers and then wipe it on their owies. ;) We only have two types of medicine that we've ever had to use on the bunnies Neo and Terramycin - the onlytube of terrmycin we have is JUST Artie's, since he gets those gooey eyes and some infections in the springtime so we have him his own tube. Luckily, the others haven't need any, and if they did, we'd just have to run out and get another $15 tube....yay $15 for a 5cm tube of medicine...CRAZY. But it works great! :)

Although I have to agree with Starlight. Salt WOULD sting! I know that Hydrogen Peroxide stings on human's cuts as well, but I don't think it bothered Sippi, so who knows if the salty water would :?And then again I agree with Polly about the soap. I wouldn't use soap in a wound either. That's just strange :?I'd use clean, warm water (not too warm, not too cold) and then some Neo and then peroxide around the edges, etc. to clean a wound.

Update: Sippi's ear had been healing nicely. Fur has started to grow back and the wound has closed up. We are still watching it closely, and making sure it doesn't get infected, dirty, etc.

I've been on vacation and just now getting around to reading this ... I just want to say that I understand your feelings about being unable to show Sippi. I know you love him as a pet too - but it is so disappointing when you buy a rabbit to show and then something happens.

I agree with the idea about if you were going to sell him - that he could still be used for breeding. As a breeder, I would be looking at his type, etc. and not be concerned about a damaged ear.

Anyway - I understand your feelings about the loss of the dream of showing Sippi. I'm so sorry it happened.

TinysMom wrote:
I've been on vacation and just now getting around to reading this ... I just want to say that I understand your feelings about being unable to show Sippi. I know you love him as a pet too - but it is so disappointing when you buy a rabbit to show and then something happens.

I agree with the idea about if you were going to sell him - that he could still be used for breeding. As a breeder, I would be looking at his type, etc. and not be concerned about a damaged ear.

Anyway - I understand your feelings about the loss of the dream of showing Sippi. I'm so sorry it happened.

Thanks Peg. :)

Yeah it is dissapointing when something happens to a showable rabbit. :( And I wish we had been more careful, but it's too late now. :(

UPDATE: Sippi's ear is healing nicely. I think some is actually beginning to grow back. There are no signs of infections at all, which is fantastic. We are still limiting his boundaries as where he can go, just to be sure. If he walks through grass that's damp, we make sure to dry his ears afterwards, etc. But, all-in-all, he's doing great.

Glad to hear he is doing well. Same thing happened to my male lop...

i am sorry to hear about sippi

i just wanted to clarify on the whole salt thing.

if you take about 1 teaspoon non-iodinzed(sp?) salt to about 4 cups of water, boil it, dissolve the salt, and allow it to cool it won't sting

i can promise this as it is what i used to clean my piercing with. it is basically making a saline solution.

i would suggest using this. i would keep it warm (not hot though) and soak a washcloth in it, then i would hold it to the wound. the warmth will help bloodflow which results in faster healing and the salt in the water will clean the wound, and i PROMISE it doesn't sting at all

i hope he heals right up for you!

Latest posts

Back