missing mouse turns up dead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
My oldest son has a mouse and it's cage today wasfound on the floor and the mouse was gone. I can't tell if my Tyler didit or a cat. I searched and searched for the mouse and thought we wouldfind it alive cause my cat was searching too. I dont quitewant to say what i did but my searching resulted in its death, only ididnt know it, until my son came home to search for it and foundit. If a cat helped it out they didnt kill it. I killedit. I feel so bad. My son is so sad too. The cageis inbad shape from the fall or whatever happened toit. I can't really ever know for sure cause Tylerdont always answer yes and no questions truthfully.

Cristy

So sorry for your dilemma. Canunderstand the angst if you were indirectly responsible for itsdeath. The fact is was an accident tends not to be much of aconsolation in such situations, but it was an accident, I am sure.

The combination of events that led to its death probably werepreordained and I suspect there was little that could have been donebeforehand to change the outcome if you were not forewarned in some way.

We who keep animals all seem to have experienced similarsituations. It's part of the learning curve, I'mafraid. Try not to beat yourself up too much.

Buck

I have some experience killing mice totally byaccident. We dont have alot of them but we do get them esspacaily aboutthis time. For example my best friend who I hadnt seen for a long timecame over and spent the night while visiting. I woke up to her momtrying to gently wake me up saying there was a mouse in my bed! I kindof laughed her off half awake saying nooo its just the cats toy.Thinking well she doesnt have cats her self and so maybe didnt knowthat they make cat toys that sort of look like mice. Well any way ourcats do like those toys and when I told her no it is probably just acat toy I rolled over and ROLLED OVER ON IT AND KILLED IT. IT was areal mouse not a toy! It had probably been chaised by the cats andsneaked under my blanket since I was sleeping on the living room floor.And then it snuggled up next to me for a nap. LOL. I felt kind of badbut got over it. Then in the spring sometimes the mice will make nestsin strange places in the barn like in things you use. So onetime Ipicked up a roll of string that I use for tieing up plants in my gardenand a mouse jumped out onto my hand wich I didnt think of what to doexcept shake it off my hand resulting in the mouse to go flying and gotkilled. I ran over to see if I could do anything for the mouse but itwas dead. I put it in a shoe box thinking I would give it a properburiel LOL and when I got done digging the hole I went back to get itand the mouse was gone. I think I must of just knocked it out when itwent on its flying trip. I felt a little better. Omg I almost forgotyesterday my aunt said that her daughter and law was making her sonsbed when a mouse went running out of it, she screamed and it dropedover dead. Her husband said she scared it to death. LOL. Dont feel badyou were doing your best looking for your sons mouse. Some people wouldof just said well its gone oh well, but you cared enough to try andfind it so good for you! OH and today at school I heard that today wassoppose to be the worst day of the year because of the distance fromchristmas, taxes, debt, and the spacings of the planets and seasons.ODD huh.

One of our mice got out once and we kept lookingfor it...and we moved a bookshelf and it squished it ... It was sooosad...Sorry about the mice, you get very attached to them, at least Idid. Lol

Thanks everyone. I looked under the boxspring and when i put it back she must have ran up on it the frame soshe was smashed by the box spring. My son is takingit very hard, and don't want to go to school, and then says he is madat me for killing his mouse. I feel so sad. :(

Cristy

Awww :(

Tell him that little mouse just got in the wrong spot. Youwould never have done something intentional to hurt his little buddy.

Then take him to get a new one.

What a horrible thing for you all, Cristy. I feel so badly for you.

-Carolyn

I have to wait till i can afford a newcage. It fell apart with the fall. I am sure a cat did it. Iwant to get a cage that if it does get knocked down the mouse will notbe able to fall out like that. I figure about 2weeks at the most we will have tax money and be able to adopt anothermouse from the adoption table if they have any, or just buyone. I can't really blame the cat cause its natural instintto want to get the mouse. I had a feelingit was alive cause he was hunting then he took a nap which makes sensecause the mouse wasnt moving around anymore.

I let him stay home from school today, but tomorrow no matter what i have to send him. He belongs in school.

Cristy

Hey Cristy,

Sorry about your little mouse, my kids have started leaving ourhamsters cage door open for some reason, I'm so thankful that he hasn'tgotten out, he's old deaf, and blind, so he would have no chance toprotect himself.

Awhile back M.E. posted this website, I thought you'd be intersted init.FeatureBin

Also on the Cavy Cages site, someone had a clever idea for attatchingscreen to the box. At walmart they sell these primary colored play pensfor small animals like mice, this person took those apart and attatchedthem to the plastic lid for ventilation. I thought it was a good idea,I'll try to send a link, but I don't know if it will work....

CavyCages Photo Galleries

Take care,
Megan

Latest posts

Back