Missing Hair Patch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratsorizzo

Reaction score
We had just discovered this out of nowhere when we got home. The rabbit is missing a strip of hair, and has two pink almost done healing scabs and we have no idea where it came from. The cage was closed so he didn't get in a tangle with the cats or anything. Did he do it himself?

Please let me know.

If this wasn't a recent occurrence, and there was any chance he was with other rabbits before you got him, that would be the most likely cause. Another rabbit bit him and ripped out a chunk of fur. If this is a possibility, then I would just make sure that it continues to heal well, and no lumps or redness occur. The fur will grow back in, usually with the next molt cycle.

If he hasn't been around other rabbits or animals, could he have had any injections at the vet prior to you getting him?

If it's recent and happened since he's been with you, cats can reach through bars. Could that be a possibility? Rabbits rarely will self mutilate, and if it's on his back or somewhere unlikely to be easily accessible by his own mouth, then self mutilation can be ruled out.

If you've ruled out other animals and him injuring himself on the cage, and self mutilation seems possible, then keep an eye on him and the area, and if it occurs again then he could be doing it because of a skin condition like mites, which would need to be treated with the correct rabbit safe med.

Not sure of anything that might have occurred before us, we recently got him not more than 2 weeks ago or so. Both cats front paws are declawed, (Laser, not yanked out mind you) so unless they are doing Mortal Kombat style bicycle kicks through the cage then I am lost there.

If my girlfriend still has the texting number we can ask the original owner. Though when he arrived I had to comb tons of snarls out of his hair and trim his nails that were about an inch or longer and to the point of being curled and obviously causing him pain.
All because she quote, "left that up to the groomers."
So take that as you want how often she decided he was worth the trip.

Those marks are pretty healed but I don't know what explains the hair. Though the last few hours, I can't see the patch as his hair has moved around. If I brush aside and look it's there again. Lionheads have a lot of hair, maybe it's been there and we didn't see it somehow. But I think that is unlikely.

Any other thoughts?

Nothing from texting as it got too late. But any other ideas let me know.

Latest posts

Back