Miss sexed rabbits?!?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bex&Bun

Reaction score
Ok im a bit freaked out!

Daphne and Willoughby have been doing the tight circle pursuit of each other today... Im a little freaked out that they have been mis sexed!!

I took Willoughby to the vet a few months ago and they thought he was female. And Daphne seems female as well.. but i've been a bit worried about their sexes lately as they seemed to have bonded a bit too well.. They have been very cuddly and licking each other etc.

Is there any other way to tell?? I don't want to take them to the vet to check them out because it will cost close to $100 and I don't have the money at the moment (Im on unpaid holidays due to being a private teacher).

Help!

Well Daphne's I could do.. but Willoughby is very tricky! I would be lucky to grab him but turning him over will be very hard! He almost scratched the vets face off last time!

Ok I turned him over.. and he looks like a girl! They both do! I couldn't get a picture... im missing a fair few chunks from me now!! :(

The easiest way to flip a bunny over is. Grab there ear and the neck and grab the other hand by the butt and flip them over. And then put hes nose/eyes under your arm so he cant see.

Im wondering whether its a struggle for dominance? I've had them together for about a month but Daph was small and very timid, she's come out of her shell more now.
Daphne is persuing Willoughby and Wills is running away etc.

Yeah I got my rabbit a couple months ago. Her name is baby. And I found some balls today. I was told she was a girl. Im kind of upset about it and I don’t know why and I feel bad because I was used to my rabbit being a girl but I did some googling and I’m pretty sure she’s a boy.

Sexing rabbits is difficult. I can't do it even after seeing dozens of pictures.

If you can get pictures and post them (easier said then done), others may be able to help you.

Are your rabbits spayed/neutered?

If your bunnies aren't spayed, they can't actually be considered 'bonded'. Even if they're both females, you may need to separate them until you can afford to have them spayed - newly surging hormones will drive two girls who normally act like sweet 'sisters' to fight. Circling, humping for dominance, biting, chasing, hair-pulling and the like WILL continue to occur periodically if you keep them together without spaying them (and females' hormones can linger for up to about 4 weeks post-spay). Rabbit fights can get vicious or even deadly, so they really need to be supervised while they're together once they reach hormone age. After they're spayed, you'll probably need to go through the bonding process with them. In addition to being necessary for bonding, female rabbits *really* need to be spayed for health reasons.

This won't help you, unfortunately, but on the topic of the difficulty of determining rabbit gender:

We adopted an adult rabbit from an animal shelter. The name was listed as Mary Poppins. When we looked at the paperwork, it showed that when poor bun went under anesthesia to be "spayed" the vet found out he had already been neutered (hence the lack of equipment).

So even folks with experience don't get it right all of the time.

We now have a neutered boy and a spayed girl, and they both hump each other (heads and tails!) when they are feeling playful, so that isn't a good indication of gender either.

Latest posts

Back