Mini Rex - information wanted!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I'm not up to doing a search on this right now - its after 3 am and we just got home.

I know that someone here owns a mini rex (Mambo?)..probably more than one person.

What are they like for personality? How big do they get tobe? Any problems regularly with them that I should beconcerned about?

A lionhead breeder was just getting rid of everything for free.....4lionheads, her female lop (adorable), several cages, exercise pen,water bottles, food bowls, etc. However, she also needed tofind a home for the Mini Rex (2) that she has - male andfemale.

So...I have Smokey & Bandit here. I'll try to takepictures when I stumble out of bed and wake up in the morning...muchlater.

I had planned on rehoming them all the way home (she knew I'd probablydo that). But I gotta say - these two are kindacute. I'd never seen a mini rex before or felt theirfur. I don't know anything about how big they get to be, etc.and I need to email her again to get their approx. ages, etc.(Smokey might be pregnant).

Peg

P.S. All the rabbits are in quarrantine - so Tiny hasn't met them yet. He's going to be SOOO mad at me.....

Hi Tinysmom! I have two minirex-mixes.They're believed to be mixed with Holland lop. I don't know a whole lotabout their breed, but the fact that they don't have long whiskers likeother buns, and they're rather small. Mine are both 3.26 pounds. Fromwhat I heard (and from what I see), they're easily scared and verycurious. They're fur is very plush. It's hard to keep your hands off ofthem! For more info, you might want to check this site outhttp://www.nmrrc.com/.

Here are a fewpics of my girls.

tongue.jpg

lefty.jpg

cleaning.jpg

aww.. i had a whole post typed and i lostit! i have two though.. no major problems here.. both haveHUGE personalities.. lil gooberheads :) very smart.. they're24/7 house buns.. full run.. their fur is AWESOME :)

msg me if you want :)

edited to add.. ignore the nails.. gotta get those clipped :)

Hi Peg,

I breed and show mini-rex. I did alot of research before I picked this breed.

They are a small rabbit, bucks no larger than 4.25 lbs and does 4.5 lbs. Of

course this is ideal weght and they can get larger with too much food. I feed

mine 1/2 cup of Purina show formula a day and unlimited hay. They also get

a small amount of fresh vegetable a day.

Their personalities are very sweet and fun-loving. You should hear the racket

they make when they are all playing. I have never seen a mini-rex that would

bite and have never been bitten by one. My 3 year old grandaughter can handle

any one of my rabbits and they love her.

They make excellent mothers and rarely have any problem kindling. Of course

being a dwarf breed you stand the chance of peanuts. I have had little trouble

with the does raising succussful litters, I have one doe that had a single baby,

It was so cute to watch her cover her up every night with her hay and more fur

when it was chilly.

As far as their fur, it is wonderful and very easy to care for. They require

minimal brushing except when they are moulting. when they do moult it is

like an avalanche of fur but most get it over with quickly.

They are not known for any hereditary problems and are very healthy on

average. I have only had to bring one doe to the vet for an eye problem.

She scratched her cornea on a peice of hay.

I reccomemd keeping them, they are little clowns and very good natured.

Roger L

Hi Peg,

We too breed and show Mini Rex (over 7 years) and I have to agree withRoger... Mydaughters did a lot of research and thenI did a lot ofinvestigating before I'd letthem getthe Mini Rex. And Roger is right, I've never beenbitten by a Mini Rex. They are SO sweet and gentle.I call them Therapy Bunnnies, you can't stay mad or upset with one ofthose guys in your lap! Their fur is to die for... like aplush velvet. My girls call them "Mini VelveteenRabbits".

They are curious, inquisitive, friendly, andloveable.Most of ours love to be held andsnuggled. (And they are NOT intimidated by myFlemish!) They are very hardy and healthy, no major problems(except what any bunny can get...) and longer lived than largerbunnies. (We have one of our Foundation does, Marshmellow,and she is over 10 years old!)

You may just fall in love with them!

Hi Peg ,.

As many know I have StandardRex which get conciderably larger than theMini's Altho ShadowJust picked up a handsome Chocolate Mini. good grief for the life of meI cant remember male or female , somany rabbits cameinthat night.

Roger and Blue Giants are rightTheMini's have a bettertemperment than the Standardseven , and My Standards are sweet hearts. Once you own a Mini Rex youwill never want to be with out one. As for being therapy Bunnies thats afact , especially when you watch a 220 lb toughguy get reduced to a pile of moosh bysinking his fingers knuckledeep in that soft fur .

You also will like the fact they come ina Myrid of colors , rainbowbunnies come to mind . when takingfur color and density into accountits hard to pick a favorite color, they are all equally beautiful .

I have mini rex's as well. I have adoe, Wildfire, that was not socialized at all by her previousbreeder, and she can get tempermental and she bit me once.But that was my fault, I reached under the dresser to get her and itscared her.

Other than that one time, I've never had a problem with these cutelittle guys. My male, Nutmeg, is constantly makingme laugh with his silly antics, and Wildfire is starting to come out ofher shell. She will now do the biggest bunny flops, completewith roll and wiggling on her back, right beside my computer chair.

So in my experience, even if they have not been socialized, with a little TLC, they will come around.

--Dawn

I have a Mini Rex too and love him to pieces. His fur is just the softest (as you know by now I'm sure).

The only issue I'd say that they have, is what Roger stated, and that'sthey are prone to be a bit overweight. I admit that mine could be a bitslimmer, he's not obese, but he's a bit hefty we'll just say.

Mini-rex? Can anyone say "hock sores"???:p

I did have trouble with those, despite my best efforts. Also sometimesan attitude (but very cute amid the snottiness). My buck sprayed like amaniac, but he was unaltered and a bitter rival of my other intactbuck. They liked to make sure I knew whose girl I was.

Also, they are pretty active! But nothing as cute as a little bitty rex.

Rose

Mmmm... Right, hock sores. Yes, minehad horrible hock sores when I got her. She had been on awire only bottomed cage her whole life and it showed. She wasmissing about half of the fur on the bottoms of her feet, and she had alittle absess (sp?) that went away on it's own after being on a solidbottomed cage, thank goodness.

After five months, not all of the fur has grown back, and she still flinches when you check her feet.

They're really prone because their fur was bred so soft and short, thatthe whiskers and hock fur got short too. Hence the tendancyto hock sores.

I think it's just my rabbit, but she's the most vocal little girl I'veever met. Tells you exactly what she thinks of you:p, but Idont' really know if that's the breed or just her.

--Dawn

I dont have any now but i used to raise thisbreed.Usually they are very laid back and calm and friendly.i have hadsome that were skittish but that is not the norm.As to sore Hocks, iwas told by a longtime rex breeder to not use rabbits for breeding thatget sore hocks as they dont have the thickness of fur on the feet andthat can be hereditary.this breeder was also a judge.bluebird

i have a mini rex (avatar). She is veryrambunctious, inquisitive, and yes, very soft fur. But she bites, notvery hard. She bites when she doesn't want to be held any longer, andalso she bites my ankles. (we play a game where she chases me, and if istand still for too long, then she bites the ankles)

Nicole

Wilbur is my minirex and he is a littlesweetheart. He isn't much on being picked up but he likes tojump in laps on his own. He is alsoloves to givekisses and he trances in about 10 seconds. He has never hadhock sores. He has free run on concrete so I don't know ifthat makes a difference. He is a very good naturedboy. He bonded instantly with Melody who is 2 and 1/2 timeshis size - talk about an odd couple.

Dawn,I had to smile when you wrote about your doe being "vocal"...my Williamwas the only vocal bun I've ever had--he would grunt ! It wasmostly when he was trotting around my room looking for a treat. Youdid'nt mention what sound your bun makes, but I'd like to hear moreabout her :).

Peg, we have some Mini-rex, and they are very sweet and docile. I've never been nipped or growledat by either one. One of them developed sore hocks this spring (outdoorrabbit ), and I covered his wire floor with pressedwood. Minus the bathroom corner, ofcourse. In a few weeks, his feet were furred again.

One month and two weeksago, I purchased a Lionhead breeding pair! They arewonderful, gentle , and lovely to hold !They are out ofCimmaron lines and......I have to check their papers again.:p Both doe and buck have parents who have done well at theshows. I'm planning to show them next month. This is really exciting!:elephant:

I'll try to post pic.'ssoon. Sorry to get away from the Mini-rex topic.

Kadish Tolesa :purplepansy:

I have to agree with HockSores , I also should mention they areNot just a Rex breed problem .
I have a Palomino right now under 6 lbswho has them but not the rest of thelitter , He was on a solid bottom theyothers are on wire , My Rabbitsare pampered and fussed over ,I also must mention constanlyly clean ,

At a show a month back there was a French Lop with a horribleHock sore , bad enough for the Judge to DQ him, Now I understand that Rex have littlefur onthe feet and hocks and it contributesto the Hock Sore factor morethan some .

Hock sores are not just for Rex anyrabbit can get them , I believe it was mentioned byLazyAcre that , Diet, Pregnancy andCondition plays a large factor in hock sores alsonot just weight and cage accomidations. Ihave to mention I have 3 adult Standards, and 1Stnd Baby, and 1 Mini inthe barn right nowand Only one would have hock issues, and only when NOT pregnant , (weird rabbit ) . As long as She was on alitter she had no sores, weanthe Babies and wham right back again .the Others all have same accomidationsand have no sores . I dobelieve it has a lot to do with therabbit itself .

Would I go out and deliberately purchase a Rex ,standard or Mini , yes I would they are One of themost loving rabbits out there .

Sparky and Scooter are both mini-rex.I find them to be extremely personable bunnies and they love tointeract with you. They don't like to be held, but love tolay next to you for pets and if you lay on the floor they both crawlall over you. If you don't pay enough attention you getnudged or have your clothes tugged.

Scooter is my good girl. Can you believe she has never chewedanything she wasn't supposed to. She has the sweetest, mostdocile personality. Sparky is my little devil. Ialways have to watch her to make sure she isn't eating the carpet orbaseboards. She knows when she's being watched too - I seeher eying the carpet and then looking over her shoulder to see if mommyis watching.

I've had sore hock problems with Sparky. I think I'm finally getting a callous built up though.

Kadish: What noises does shemake? How about what noises does she not make...Most of the time she sounds like a chicken, sqealing and skawking,expecially when your doing something she doesn't like (cleaning hercage :p). I've also heard her do the buzzing noise before,when she was getting a really good run around my room.

And with the hocksores, I think the reason mine had them so bad was shewas on an all wire bottomed cage, with NOTHING solid to siton.:X Now she's on a solid bottomed cage, and her feet look200% better!!

I think as long as you keep them with something solid to rest theirfeet on, they're fine. And I haven't really had much exposureto any other type of rabbit, so I have nothing to compare to, all Iknow is that my buns feet where just a mess 5 months ago.

--Dawn

I have 4 Mini Rex who I wouldn't trade for theworld. They are all very sweet, Lily doesn't like other does,but she loves people. Saphy is a big sprayer, but youcouldn't find a nicer boy, he's a real Momma's boy.

Their fur is just amazing, it's so soft. Saphy has wavy fur,there is a name for it, but I can't think of what it is at themoment. When he was a baby, it was tiny ringlets, but nowit's just wavy.

I haven't had any problems with sore hocks, but then again, my cages are all solid bottomed.

Jen

Hey,

i have a mini rex and i love her!! she has the funniest personality andis a total princess.. she loves to be pet and lets me pick her up ifshe is in the mood and even if she isn't she will let me hold her forabout 20 seconds and then it is down for her.. but she is playful andloves to be where the action is.. whenever i have friends over shealways wants to see who has come, because of course in her cute littlemind everyone is here to see her... you can't forget their soft fur..it is the softest thing i have ever felt in my life.

I have never had any problems with hock sores but my cage is has a solid bottom so i don't know about it to much.

Madhura and Nibbles

Latest posts

Back