Mini Rex in Need of LOVE!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf Mommy

Reaction score
So, I went to the feed store today to pick upYesterday's News, Oxbow pellets and Canidae (for the puppy). One of theshop owners came over to me immediately and took me to a bunny cage onone of the shelves. Oh this poor lil guy.

In the cage was a tort mini-rex. He's almost completely skin and bones. His left ear is ripped in half lengthwise.

The story is that the owner had basically just left him in the fencedin backyard. I don't even know if they gave him water, although I'mthinking they did, or he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did.

Something ...probably a cat or dog... must have attacked him and ripped his ear apart. This poor little guy.

The shop owner warned me that he growls and lunges when you put yourhand in the cage. I approached him cautiously, reached in and startedpetting his bony lil head (no growling, no lunging). I rubbed his lilcheeks and skritched behind his ears. sigh...such a sweetheart.

Anyway. He is already neutered. He is going in this week to have partof the shredded ear removed (so it won't bother him so much).

So, now I'm thinking.... Wonder if I could convince hubby to get me my Christmas present early this year... hmmmmmmm

Awwww .... I have such a soft spot (no pun intended) for Rex's. And a tort to boot?! I want, I want...:(

I really hope you'll be able to give this guy a forever home. :D *sending positive thoughts*

Oh that poor little baby! Maybe yourhubby will cave if you tell his story... I guess I am lucky to have afiance who loves animals as much as I do!

Keep us posted on that little guy, he sounds like he really needs a loving mom like you!

Oh my, that poor little guy. That is just terrible. Makes me very sad to think of it.

I really hope your hubby will let you take him home. He needs you!! Asyou may recall, my husband and I recently rescued a Mini Rex from a petstore. I say rescue because she was skin and bones, was in there for amonth alone, and clearly no one wanted her. She looked....different,hard to explain.

I'm just glad there are people like us (all of us on this board), whocare and don't just want the "pretty" rabbits. Valura is gorgeous now,but she looked terrible when I first saw her. It's sad when you canliterally see their ribs.

Now she's a tubby. :p

I'm going to visit the feed store again on Fridayto check how the surgery went. I'm not going to bring Elf with me thisnext time, because I'm sure he'll still be pretty traumatized frombeing anesthesized. I want to see if I can hold him or at least get alittle time with him down on the floor. His cage is on a pretty highshelf. I also have to see how much they are asking for him. I'm notsure what the surgery is going to cost them, or if they'd want me toreimburse them for it. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

Aww, you are just so sweet! I hopeyou'll be able to get him! He definitly needs someone like you to lovehim and live with!!! I just can't imagine what the poor guy has beenthrough!!!...and to think that some person did those things tohim...not intentionly, but keeping him outside with no real shelter orlove!! *tisk tisk* *sniffle* I hope he does fine from the surgery.....Ihope you'll be able to rescue him and show him what a real bunny owneris like!!

Tons of Hopes and Wishes-
Amanda**

I visited the lil' man again today. He's justtooooo sweet. They couldn't get him in for surgery this week. The manwho was supposed to pick him up and take him was late and they missedthe appointment. :(

The appointment is now on Wednesday of next week. I'm going to go in again next Friday to check on him.

I swear, he is just the PERFECT Halloween bun :D.
pumpkin_bounce_lg_clr.gif

He's orange and black with the cute crumply rex whiskers, and thevelvety fur. It is a little patchy in places, and some of his toenailslook like they have been completely ripped out, and at the moment hisear is still sliced in two.

heart_ventricles_beating_sm_clr.gif
Ijust love him! How incredibly brave of him to survive his backyard lifefor so long. I walked around the store with him tranced and snuggled inthe crook of my arm for about an hour, petting him and loving on him.

They had him neutered a few weeks ago. They have a really goodconnection with someone who does rabbit rescue in my area, and the mangets a discount at the vets. It only costs $50 for neutering and $52for spaying the rabbits. The feed store said they'd cover the cost ofthe ear surgery, and all I would have to do is reimburse them the $50for the neutering. :shock: (Oh, and they said they could hook me upwith him to get Elf spayed as well, which would be great! Even thoughshe's so mellow already.)

....starts cleaning the house VERY VERY well to suck up to hubby. :p

OH! One more thing! (I must've edited 5 times already! LOL) I came homeand put my hands against Elf's cage so she could smell him, and shestarted poking her nose through and licking my hands. Good sign, don'tyou think???

tell him u will love him forever. I hope you can get him. He sounds sweet.

Cristy

Awwwww.Poor little guy. :(I'm so glad you found him. I hope yourhubby will let you get him. He needs someone like you to show him allus humans arent the same. :?

Lanna

Elf was jumping up on her cage when I got up thismorning. I refilled her water and food, put some more hay inthere....she was still up on the cage looking at me. I finally figuredout what she wanted. She wanted to smell the lil' man and lick my handagain. I pressed my hand against the cage so she could see that thesmell had gone. I swear she gave me a disgusted look then went abouther business (tearing her house apart--I think she knows it's the 30th).

How dare you shower and now she cant smell the man of her dreams haha :)

Cristy

Latest posts

Back