Mini Rex and Rex

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacygirl

Reaction score
Hello I am in process of raising show qualityMini Rex. It is okay to breed a male rex to a female minirex? Is that part of how we get good show quality?

I hope you're not talking about a male standardrex or whatever they're called. That's a good way to cause problems ashe will be bigger than the mom.

The way to get good show quality is to get a pair of rabbits that already have the qualities you want the rabbits to have.

You also invest the majority of your money in your buck as hischaracteristics will affect every litter he sires - especially ifyou're taking one buck to three or four does.

Peg

Legacygirl wrote:
Hello I am in process ofraising show quality Mini Rex. It is okay to breed a male rex to afemale mini rex? Is that part of how we get good showquality?

You never want to breed a female rabbit to alarge male. The babies will be larger and it can causebirthing complications that could kill the doe.

If you are breeding for show, you want to stick to mini-rexes bred tomini-rexes. The sizes will get funny, and they may be too bigor small for either catagory.

--Dawn

Have you registered with the ARBA? I think thatsthe best place to start for really good breeding info. Iwould do a lot of research before you breed. And crossbreeding is nevergood unless there is a clear purpose for it (like, lionlops forinstance).

I second that - except I would not ONLY registerwith ARBA and get a membership there - I'd get a membership with anyand all rabbit clubs for the breed you want to work with.

Usually I think your membership with a breed-specific club gives youhelpful publications about that breed andwhat to look for in a rabbit.

I also would attend rabbits shows and watch judges and listen to whatthey say about the rabbits they are judging. I learned so much from myfirst few shows....it changed my breeding program a lot.

Peg

Thank all of you. Never mindthen. Our goal is to raise good show quality Mini Rex, Dutch,and Himalayan rabbits. I used to show dutch, mini rex, himibefore. I am justing getting new information, as I am justgetting back into showing rabbits again.

Latest posts

Back