Mini lops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookiemonster

Reaction score
just a couple of questions.. when is it okay to breed a female mini lop? i look online and keep getting different answers. also anything you know about mini lops would be helpful as i dont know a whole lot. also if you have info on showing rabbits it would be helpful to me as i will be showing them...DSC02415.JPG DSC02409.JPG DSC02422.JPG DSC02427.JPG here are my babies.... took my senior pictures with them... absolutely adore them echo is the first two images the other two are mocha

You can breed them as soon as they reach their senior weight. Most breeders wait until they're about 6-7 months old for their first breeding. If you breed them for their first time when they're older it can be harder for them to get pregnant as they have more fat built up; which can lead to smaller litters and more problems giving birth. It's ideal to breed them before their one year of age; after two years of age if they haven't had their first litter I personally wouldn't consider purchasing a rabbit for breeding.
If you have any questions about showing feel free to ask me. Mini lops are a fun breed; because they come in so many colors, and all solid colors show together so a single class can look like a rainbow. They pose with their head down; a lot influence is given on bone and body; they want a large, wide head, thick legs, and a compact, deep body. The ears are supposed to thick, and held wide open at the wide, and they fall in a horseshoe shape, sticking close to the sides of the face. Males usually have better heads, while females usually have more depth from what I see. Unfortunately, some of the nicest mini lops, especially does, often fall JUST over the weight limit of 6.5 lbs so that's something you have to watch.

thanks sooo much!!! are their colors showable and what color would you consider my male??

Most colors are showable in mini lops, including those two
The darker one is an opal, the other one is an orange
When entering a show, you would just write 'solid' as the variety

ok thanks.... what is the best way to transport?? and what should i use to transport them

8056_1.jpg

Small wire carriers like this with plenty of ventilation are the best for transporting rabbits. They sell them at most shows. Some of the main problems when transporting them are having too big of cages, so they can slide around (smaller is more secure, I like just small enough for them to lay down and turn around easily), having slippery floors (these wire floors are easy for their feet to grip so they don't slide around too) and overheating (the ventilation here helps.) Opening from top makes it a lot easier to get the rabbit out too, and the wire floor keeps them clean before the show. All the top rabbit showmen use these. I suggest using water dishes instead of bottles when you transport to, because bottles leak in the vibrations of a car drive. Giving hay can help reduce the stress of a trip too.

You can get cups that attach to the sides of these carrying cages, for pellets and water. To absorb the urine we would put down puppy pads in the bottom and some wood pellets on that.

Latest posts

Back