Mini lop with runny nose.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandaboy

Reaction score
I recently saved a5-6 week old mini lop (Oliver) from a disgusting pet shop (I know, I know its wrong to support the pet shops! But my heart melted when I saw him, and I just couldn't leave him there). He had bite wounds on his inner right back leg and his tail. It wasn't to serious, the wounds were already healing when I got him, so I trimmed the fur away around the wounds and applied betadine to them, then wrapped them up in vet wrapso he wouldn't lick the betadine off. When I took the bandages off and wiped the betadine off I applied avery small amounthoney to the wounds, because it has antibacterial properties and it would be okay for him to clean it off.

Anyways...He's recovered and healed now, but I've noticed that he's been having a runny nose, he doesn't ever sneeze....his eyes aren't watery and the mucus is clear, but he has been producing more over the last day (i've only had him for 5 days). My parents are on vacation right now, so I have to wait to take him to the vet.:(

What should I do before then? Is there any sort of herb or food that might relieve him of his symptoms? Do you think its really serious?

I love my Oliver and I'm so scared that he's seriously ill, he's the sweetest little guy :cry4:why does he have to be sick!

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12016&forum_id=10

this link describes some common respiratory infections in buns.

because there is clear fluid coming from your buns nose it doesn't soundlike pasturella (at this point)however, considering that he is from a pet shop I would definitely get him to the vet as as soon as you can. Rabbits from pet shops often come from bad breeding and unsanitary condition so there may be more than one thing going on with him.

He could have draining sinuses, or allergies also.

besure to note all his symptoms in the meantime, eating drinking , pooping ,,,give him fresh hay and pellets and be a good observer.

I'm calling to make a appointment with the vet first thing in the morning, I'd do it now, but there not open on sundays

Oh, I know, he really should have, he was in the cage with a litter of dwarf rabbits and a "teenager" guinea pig. I suspect it was the guinea that bit him, poor guy probably would've gotten an infection if it was never treated.

angieluv wrote:
I'm glad that you are making an appt; I just noted his age 5 weeks is really ayoung little guy; should really have been with his mom longer.
Make sure that your vet has treated rabbits beforehttp://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

Back