Milly went in for stitches

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queenadreena

Reaction score
A few nights ago, I noticed a two inch gash onthe inside of Millies right back leg. The next day I took her to thevets, who told me it needed to be stitched up. This morning I droppedher off, and collected her after work at 6:30. She seemed really . . .uncared for. They'd let the waterbottle leak all over the small cage Ihad brought her down in, resulting in her paws and bottom being soakingwet. The receptionist was really hostile as well, and it felt like shewas blaming me for Millies accident, as if I had personally cuther. I don't really know how it happened, the vet suggestedthat perhaps Mai (my other rabbit) had done it, but I know she's notthat vicious and it didn't look like a rabbit bite, because it was toowide and there was skin hanging off. They made me feel like aninadequate bunny mummy, when they're not exactly savvy on rabbitsthemselves. but of course, with me being too polite to say anything, Ilet it lie. Cost me £76.60 for an antibiotic injection and stitches. Ididn't mind paying this, because I adore Milly, but I do wish they'dbeen more friendly towards both me and her.
Anyway, I'm rambling on, seeing as they gave me little to no advice,should I keep her in her hutch (which is now situated in the hall for afew days) or should I let her out for a little playtime? She usuallygets about an hour, at three intervals during the day, but I'm not surehow active she should be. Will her stitches split if shes runs around?They're soluble ones, and internal aswell. Should I just elt her outfor a few minutes, then let her rest? She seems to have settled downnow, whereas earlier she looked a little depressed, I think she thoughtI'd abandoned her, sweet little thing :D

Poor Millie!:(
And poor YOU!!

I hope you're looking for a new vet.:X

I would keep Millie's activity minimal for a couple of days.

I would also do a good look-around to see if you could find what she cut herself on.

I was worrying myself silly about her whilst atwork, I was petrified they'd bodge up the stitching and make it worse.I've looked around the main area they play, and noticed a sharp corneron a wicker basket bin, so she may have jumped over it and landed onit,yet it's unlikely itcould've have done thedamage that was visible. Still, I'm not laying blame on Mai, she's justfar too cute (even if she is a grumpy lop)

Any chance of a better rabbit vet in your area?

I'd keep her confined for a few days too. You could let herout for playtime, but in a much smaller space than normal, maybe thesame amount of space as she has in her hutch. It would giveher something different to look at and you'd be able to sit in therewith her.

Rabbit skin is so thin compared to a cat's or dog's, you'd be surprised what they can cut themselves on.

I agree. When we first got Bud he decided to doa run and leap and land half assed on the wire cage ramp that wasopened as he was running along and hurt his foot a little bit. He wasfine after walking it off but we were really worried he could get thatcareless 0_o

I've only just let her out to play today (we'vehad her out on the sofa though, just letting her sit on our laps, soshe hasn;t been confined all this time)
She's looking alot better now, and her cut is healing well. She doesn'teven mind that much when i give her medicine out of the dropper (shelooks so cute drinking from it) I'll keep a closer eye on her from nowon, to make sure she has no bunny scuffles with her sister.

Latest posts

Back