Millet puffs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
I bought this pack of organic puffed millet in a health food shop the other day (nothing added but millet:() I thought it was a great idea as a healthy breakfast for the kids. I tried it this morning and even after adding sugar to it it tastes horrendous. I hate to throw it out. Do you reckon it is suitable for the rabbits (or my gerbil) in moderation? I gave Lint a few puffs earlier and she gobbled it up. Has anyone has any advice on that?

That's funny, I grew up eating puffed grain cereals and loooved puffed millet with honey drizzled on top with milk.. Mmm! Then again, I was raised by health nuts so my tastebuds are used to weird stuff. Millet is safe to feed rabbits, but I'm not sure if they could eat puffed millet safely without having a hard time chewing it. I'd treat it like oats and feed it sparingly since it is a starch.

Forgot to add.. it also depends on the age of your bunnies. If any of them are older buns, it is best to not feed them any extra starch in their diet whether oats or millet, etc. As buns get older they become less able to digest starch in their diet and this can lead to obesity or cecal dysbiosis if they get way too much for too long.

The oldest is a year old and the others 6 months and under. The two older ones are extremely active. I will only use up this one bag as a treat and not make it part of their diet as such. They don't really have any grains in their diet anyhow

I think it would be pretty good for gerbils... but I'm not sure. Agreed that it's probably not very good for the bunnies and should just be a treat. You could also throw it outside for the birds.

Latest posts

Back