Milky pee

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laura331

Reaction score
Hello everyone so my bunny Mischief just peed on my bf (lol) but i noticed when i was cleaning it that it is really milky and smelled really bad. Is this normal? I looked up the milky urine and i read that it could be from too much calcium in there diet. I am currently feeding her alfalfa pellets because she is only 4 months old, and I was thinking about switching to timothy pellets soon (I read that alfalfa pellets can cause excess calcium). Just wondering if anyone had any idea what i should do. She does have a vet appointment coming up for her first check up, but i just want to see what you guys have to say.

Ps. she is acting perfectly normal, jumping around and not acting like she is in any pain at all.

Was it sludgy at all, or normal consistency and just milky? If just milky, it would indicate excess calcium - have you fed her any new greens or anything lately? Otherwise it may just be caused by the alfalfa pellets.

If it was sludgy or gritty or pasty, it could indicate a bladder sludge problem.

Perfectly normal, as long as it isn't thickened at all. If you feed very much of the kale or carrot tops, they are both high in calcium, so that could account for some of it as well.

If you are concerned about too much calcium, instead of switching her off of alfalfa pellets(which is probably better to leave her on if it's not causing any issues, as she is still growing), you could try reducing or eliminating the kale and/or the carrot tops, and try a lower calcium leafy veggie, like a dark leafy lettuce(not iceberg).
http://rabbit.org/lowering-blood-calcium/

Definitely sounds like she's just got a lot of calcium. Try fixing it with diet but I've noticed that some bunnies seem to have more? Also, depending on her age, she might be starting bunny puberty - I noticed one of my buns, who tends toward milky pee even if she has just a tiny bit of alfalfa, had a lot more just around the time she hit bunny puberty. She also peed on people more, began to pray and chin rub. Bunny teenage rebellion!. If your bun is doing of these other things, you might want to look into getting her spayed.

Latest posts

Back