Microchipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plymothian_Sophie

Reaction score
Hi! Does anyone have their rabbit microchipped? And does anyone know how much it costs on average in the UK?
Getting my bunny vaccinated in 2 weeks, debating whether I should microchip her or not, I don't see her ever escaping, but I know I'll regret it if someone took her or whatever. What's everyones thoughts on microchipping rabbits?

Both of my rabbits are microchipped with HomeAgain microchips. I actually got them done for free but average price around here is ~ $35.

I know a lot of people don't want to do it or only want to do it while their pet is anesthetized for another reason because the needle is so big. I held Cricket in my arms for hers (we didn't have a towel available at the microchip day and she didn't want to stand on the metal table) and she didn't even react when her chip went in. I've seen lots of other animals microchipped (and done a few myself) and in my experience the owners usually react much more than the pets.

My bunny Mocha is a rescue and he was microchipped at the shelter before I adopted him so I'm not really sure about the costs. I don't think it's a bad idea per se, but in places where eating rabbit meat isn't uncommon, I think the chances of finding a lost bun are a lot slimmer. There's also the issue of whether whoever that does find your bunny will turn them over to the authorities in the first place, since it's mostly shelters and animal services that will check for a microchip.

I opted not to do it (my vet wanted $40 each) since my bunnies are indoors unless supervised and in a pen and they have a fenced-off bunny room inside (meaning they could never slip out an open front door). I was definitely interested in doing it just as a precaution, but another $80 when I was paying $465 for two spays was just a bit much for me considering my bunns' low risk lifestyle.

I had Sugar chipped because my boyfriend is in the Army and we could be transferred just about anywhere in the world. I know that dogs and cats often require microchipping to move overseas, but I wasn't sure if any countries require likewise for rabbits, and I didn't want to research the laws for moving rabbits to 100+ countries, so I had him chipped just to be on the safe side. :)

A local animal shelter offers $20 microchipping for rabbits, and they had a $10 special last June (I gave them the full $20 anyway, just 'cause). Maybe you can find a shelter in your area that does the same?

Thanks guys! I think I may get her chipped, there's a very very slim chance she can escape from the house, but I am hoping to get her in an outdoor run for the summer so of she escapes from that then at least I have a piece of mind knowing she's chipped. If she got out and I didn't have her chipped I know I'll regret it.
Apparently a local shelter offers reduced rates of chipping and neutering but only if I recieve any benefits (which I don't) so looks like I'll be paying at the Vets lol

Latest posts

Back