Microchipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
How many of you microchip your bunns?

How do you feel about it? Storm is microchipped but I will have to make that dessionson for my next bun a dutch for sure. Just want opions and advice.

My guys are microchipped because the shelters we got them from do it automatically (except Benjamin). I don't think it's really necessary unless you go for a lot of walks outside. Most house-bunnies aren't going to get out and run away--the majority of stray bunnies that show up at a shelter are owner-abandoned, not escapees. I know my guys aren't going to make a break for it (we have an apartment door and a building door, so there's no way they can get out that way), and they don't really like being outside on a leash (except Muffin, who thinks of it as buffet time). The site can get infected, and there are some concerns about cancer at the site of the microchip (I think the incidence is really low). If I had to choose, I wouldn't do it, but the decision was already made for me.

Heya

It really depends on your situation. I haven't microchipped my two buns because I don't see the need in my situation; my garden is rabbitproof, and they spend most of their time indoors with me all the time, but with a stairgate blocking off their rooms from the corridor leading to the front door for extra safety.

The only thing to consider is how your rabbit would react to a microchip, because, while vets say it is "painless" in leaflets etc. we've microchipped our six dogs and each one has yelped and cried for a while afterwards, so it is clearly painful.

I wouldn't say it was necessary- but if you want to, just to be on the complete safe side, it's totally your decision.

:)
Jenx

jcottonl02 wrote:
Heya

It really depends on your situation. I haven't microchipped my two buns because I don't see the need in my situation; my garden is rabbitproof, and they spend most of their time indoors with me all the time, but with a stairgate blocking off their rooms from the corridor leading to the front door for extra safety.

The only thing to consider is how your rabbit would react to a microchip, because, while vets say it is "painless" in leaflets etc. we've microchipped our six dogs and each one has yelped and cried for a while afterwards, so it is clearly painful.

I wouldn't say it was necessary- but if you want to, just to be on the complete safe side, it's totally your decision.

:)
Jenx

Microchipping is done with a huge needle. I don't know the gage number, but it is really big. It does hurt, because the needle is so large. I'd imagine for a rabbit it would feel the same as being punctured by another rabbit's teeth. Then the site of the microchip tends to be sore for 24 hours.
I wouldn't do it in my situation right now. The only way I would do it is if they lived outside and/or were somewhere where they could potentially be stolen (but I am just paranoid).

I have none of mine microchipped and think I only might if buns were being stolen, but even then I would probably just up the security around them. I personally think there is no need for it in my buns.

I totally agree- like I said, the leaflets say it is "painless", but for my dogs to have yelped in the way they did, and be really tender in that area for days afterwards, then for a rabbit to have that done would be more painful, I would imagine, as rabbits are generally smaller.

If it wasn't painful I would have had mine microchipped, just to be on the safe side, but as it is so, and I don't see the need for mine to be microchipped, I haven't.

Jenx

I had to get Pernod and Shadow microchipped when we left the UK to come to Canada.

I have to say, that although it was a HUGE needle, neither of them were bothered at all. They never flinched or anything (in fact, they were worse when they had their vaccinations).

If your rabbit is always in the house, or can't escape anywhere, then it probably isn't necessary, but it is always extra protection.

Jan

Both of my rabbits are shelter buns, but they came from two different shelters. Fiona isn't chipped but Timmy is. He already had his chip when we adopted him and it was included in the then $25 fee along with the neuter. (The fee is now $50, still a good deal though)

I've seen a lot of dogs and cats and a few rabbits chipped. Honestly in my experience it's usually more painful for the owner watching than it is for the animal. Usually they don't even flinch.

Our shelter microchips the rabbits, but in my opinion it is not necessary. It is included in the adoption fee.

Thanks for your responces.

I will have my other bun done to. Main reason from what everone is saying I do know it bothers some where it doesn't bother others. But I live in a apartment if there was afire or anything and they happen to pull him out. I would not have anything but that chipp to prove he is myne and I live off the coast if for what ever reason I had to leave him or any of my animals they all would have proof besides there collars that they are myne.

I would probaly never leave them but you never know.

Thanks for the help on desiding.

I worry about the same thing PBJ. I worry that if we were ever evacuated etc, and separated from the kids I would want a way to get them back.

I have chipped 100's of animals at work. I can honestly say only a few have reacted to it anymore than they do a vaccine, etc.

Rory was microchipped at the same time he was neutered, so he didn't feel it. The other bunnies aren't chipped, but my cockatiels are. I'll probably have Phoebe Mae microchipped when she's spayed, but I dropped the ball with Skyler and forgot to have it done when he was neutered!

I have read about the possible increase in cancer, but I've never actually heard of a bunny with that problem. For me personally, the potential benefits outweigh the hypothetical cancer risk. My bunnies spend a lot of time outside with me in the summer and even though they stay in a play pen and our yard is fenced, I worry about them getting out and not being able to catch them!

jcottonl02 wrote:
I totally agree- like I said, the leaflets say it is "painless", but for my dogs to have yelped in the way they did, and be really tender in that area for days afterwards, then for a rabbit to have that done would be more painful, I would imagine, as rabbits are generally smaller.

If it wasn't painful I would have had mine microchipped, just to be on the safe side, but as it is so, and I don't see the need for mine to be microchipped, I haven't.

Jenx

I had my dogs microchipped when they were under for other reasons... not sure I would have my cats or buns microchipped as they are secure...

Even our RO "bunny nappers" would have to make it up my hill and not many would want to try that! :biggrin2:

Denise

Yeah I think I had 3 of ours done when they were under anasthetic for neutering, but we have three that are unneutered because we are breeding from two of them, and one isn't old enough, and we had them microchipped.

They were not impressed. The vet even gave us some anasthetic cream for two of them because he realised it would be painful for them to be microchipped, so we rubbed the cream on half an hour before to try and reduce the pain.

Our two cats are done because they spend about half their time outside. Although they are almost always just in our garden (they are very good) and we can sort of, constantly see them, as they go out we had to microchip them just in case.

Like you said, my rabbits are secure too, so I don't see as much need to microchip them. If it wasn't painful- hey it's 25quid for added safety that doesn't affect the bun at all- great! But as it is, and I don't see the need with my buns in my situation, I haven't. They spend most of their time inside with me, but we have a stairgate so there's no way they can get to an outside door at all- they have their two rooms, and then there's the stairgate. And I'm with them al the time anyway. Then they are in a secure run a lot in the summer- but we have a rabbit proof garden, and someone is always there to look after them in the run (both parents work from home) so I dont see the need. :)

Jen :) xx

I dont think its necessary and it makes me nervous since bunnies are so sensitive to everything. I wouldn't put anything under my bunny's skin I didnt have to...

Just a note- the microchips I've been around have been done with a 12 gauge needle. It's big and it does hurt. However if its done quickly, they don't normally say/do much until afterwards :)

As for rabbits I would worry about how thin a rabbit's skin is for microchipping. I'm sure it can be done safely but I would personally want mine knocked out for it...I may just be being overcautious, but still, that needle is big.

I've never considered microchipping my bunnies. I wouldn't do it though for the simple reasoning I once adopted a dog, and the day we were going to take her home, they had to microchip her and she yelped. It almost made me cry to hear that sound. I would never put my bunnies through that.

Latest posts

Back