Microchip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you can have a bun microchipped. It's done the same way as in dogs and cats, on the scruff of the neck.

I've never had it done, but I did ask the vets about it.

So maybe it's worth checking with your vets?

I wonder how good it would be if your buns are never left out.

accidents can sometimes happen. Stanley has escaped a couple of times when my 5 year old leaves the door open. He dosn't run away but you never know. Better safe than sorry.

YOu know, I thought microchipping was fabulous until I got to talking with some dog owner friends of mine. These are people that have many years of experience raising dogs, and shipping them overseas because they are show dogs, so identification is very important for them. Anyway, they are starting to have problems with microchiping in some cases. It has been found that the chips will move, as in when you go to scan it, it won't be on the back of the neck anymore. One of my friends was getting a health check done on her dog, and they decided to check the chip too. When they finally found it, it was low down on her left shoulder.

Also, and this hasn't been confirmed yet, just supected, but it seems that dogs/animals with a microchip are more susceptable to certain types of cancers. Personally, I think I would get my rabbit tattoed. You can use any numbers or letter you want, even your phone # or last digits in your social sec. number, or whatever. Then make a record of it with your vet, so that it can be verified if your rabbit is ever lost or stolen.
Just my two cents, anyway. LOL

Oh my, now I'm really put off the microchip idea. I was going to have it done at the same time as he gets fixed next week. I wouldn't have a clue where to go to get my bunny tattoed. It is a good idea though. I just worry that if he did get out one day that someone would take him in and I wouldn't be able to prove that he was mine.

I also heard that the microchips move about too, and can end up virtually anywhere.

As for the tattoos, I think that people do the inside of the ear. I wouldn't have a clue where to find someone that would do it though. Maybe some breeders in your area?

It might be hard to find a breeder in the UK to tattoo a rabbit - show breeders use rings on the legs - not tattoos - to identify their animals.

Ask your vet about tattooing.

Pam

Also my grandmas fdog was stolen and he was microchipped. We never got him back. Its been a good 6-8 years.

Doesn't help if they aren't taken to a shelter or vet.

At the shelter where I volunteer all the animals are COMPLETELY scanned, so even if the chip moves, it will be found. Granted, yes, someone has to take them in to the shelter/vet, but it someone was going to steal them, nothing else would stop them either.

My Timmy has a microchip. He had already had it implanted before I adopted him. Now they give adopters the option of a microchip for $15 extra. Of course, I doubt that he will ever need it and I don't plan to have Fiona done. If he were to get out, chances are pretty slim that he would be caught. Still, if for some reason I needed to prove whose he was, I could do it.

The concept of them being more prone to cancer is interesting. I would need to see some kind of research done though before I were to believe it.

We had a wonderful sheltie dog around a year ago, and she was stolen from our back yard. (we are for sure that she didn't run away) She wasn't microchipped because we thought that it wasn't neccesary. Now we wish we would have had it done. :sad:

missyscove wrote:
At the shelter where I volunteer all the animals are COMPLETELY scanned, so even if the chip moves, it will be found.

That's a good idea. I think what worried me though isn't just the fact that it might not be found, but just exactly where it might wind up. I don't know if it's possible or not for it to actually go inside or not, but the thought worries me.

Latest posts

Back