Microchip?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephiemarie78

Reaction score
I recently adopted Snoopy, and he looks like hewas tattooed or something on his ear and he was Microchiped. So Iunderstand why they Microchip the animals, anyone have this for therebuns? But whats with the tatoo?

snoopy7.jpg

I must be blind because I don't see a tatoo inhis ear at all! Most breeders tatoo their bunnies so that they canidentify them and track their progress in shows. As for the microchip,it's a painless procedure and the chip contains all of your personalinformation in case the bunny gets lost. All of our animals, except forour hamster, are microchipped... even if the possibility ofescape/getting lost is slim, it's still a great idea.

Oh yeah, I see it now. Hmmm. Definitely not abreeder tatoo, because they are usually at least three block styleletters long. That almost seems like some sort of burn scar. How did helose his other ear? If he were rescued from an abusive situation, theymight've burned his ear, too.

Ive heard of some pet stores who mark the animals male or female on the ear (but from what I know its not permanent).

Could be a mark from a breeder. My Basil has a number 4 in hisear. Maybe someone else who knows more about this cancomment...

So mistery sloved. I called the SPCA and asked.She said that they tatoo an S in the ear and microchip all animals.They like to track any "repeat offenders" meaning people that get ananimal and maybe dump it or gets lost and ends up back in the shelter.

Wow..thats great that they take so much care to track all that info!

You can pretend the S is for Stephanie :) My Basil has a 4 and I just look at it as an upside down h (for haley) :)

She said you would be surpised how many repeatanimals they get. I guess once that happens a few times you go on therenot alowed to adopt list.

I think it sad people get a dog/cat/ect. it becomes to much trouble sothey dump it. Snoopy was found in an apartment the people that livedthere left him in a small cage. Poor Baby good thing is wasn't for verylong

That explains why Freckles has a mark in her eartoo--I just adopted her from the SPCA here in Pinellas County two weeksago. Congrats on your new little guy!

--Rebecca, Floppy, and Freckles

Those type of tattoos are done with tattoo"pens" (like human tattooers). They are becomingverypopular in use in rabbits by breeders as well, and I'vetattooed thousands with tattoopens (just did 20 rabbitstoday). The other method commonly used are the "tattoopliers" that produce the block style pinhole tattoos. Somepeople also "hand tattoo" with a small tool that has pins on the end.

Tattoos of 1 letter or number are not unusual. A breeder'stattoo is placed in the left ear (unlike Snoopy's, which is inhis right ear). For show purposes, it is required that arabbit has a permanent tattoo in its left ear (any combination ofletters or numbers - no symbols). The tattoo also provides apermanent form of identification.

For American Rabbit Breeders Association purposes, the right ear isused for the registration insignia ("R" in a circle), although somebreeders may also place an additional identifying mark in the right ear.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

"S" is tatooed in her ear for "spayed".The shelter I work with uses an "N" for neutered. My dog, Katie,has one. That way they know she was done and don't mix her up asone who needs the surgery. Also, if they show up back at theshelter they realize that she had been there before and had beenspayed. My dog also has a serial number tatooed on her innerthigh and is microchipped. She ain't going no where! ;)

hmm..but Snoopy is a boy, right? If that were the case at this shelter, it shouldve been an "n".

Maybe they just put an "s" for all??

The S is for Super. Soon your rabbit will be lifting cars and leaping tall buildings.

Haha. I think I remember someone atthe shelter telling me that some places used an "S" because it waseasier? But I don't know how correct that is.

Latest posts

Back