Mice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Bracon~

Reaction score
Should I be worried about mice living near the rabs?:?We found loads of food that had fallen on the floor, which they'd knocked down ripping the bag open. Weve thrown all the food away now and put the new stuff in plastic containers.

If you put the food away so the mice can't get it chances are they'll move on. I would double check the gaps in your cages and use some wire mesh to wrap around so the mice can't get INTO the cages.

Erm....well I am not too sure about this.

I am not sure that mice are "awful" in the sense of their carriage of.......stuff lol, not sure how to put this. So I am not sure they could potentially harm the buns, although don't quote me on this.

We live right opposite a farm, so we have had amouse in our living room when I was about 10, and then we had another mouse outside. We used humane mouse catchers which were great. We then took the mice and drove down a few miles and released them into a wood, so that they could not come back.

Twice I have gone outside and seen a mouse sitting on top of the hutches, happy as can be, and once inside the wheelie bin I keep full of hay by the hutches; he had made himself a nice little nest in there!! And then he jumped at my face and scared the bejesus out of me- it was dark outside and something leaped at my face!!!

I've tried everything I can to block the mice from my buns- checked the wholehutches over and made sure there are no "entrances". I have put a brick on the lid of the wheelie bin of hay to make sure they cannot get in there, and my hutches have removable "windows" my Dad made so the rabbits keep warm in the winter and it keeps the rain out- so this would help prevent the mice from getting close to the buns.

Apart from doing something like that, making sure you prevent the mice from going into the rabbits hutches etc. and keeping food in a tight tupperware box or something similar. I am sure it will be fine though.

Good luck

Anyone who has any other thoughts on this might be more helpful than I have been, but I hope I have helped a little.

Jen

I have had a rat in my shed and that definitly caused me problems. It killed one rabbit and and I lost about 6 others suddenly, the vet was convinced it was from bacteria that it was spreading so I would be careful and try to keep them away from the hutch if you can, and disinfect it often. I'm not sure if putting the food away is a good thing, it may make them try to get into the hutch to get the buns food instead and I know they can fit through the smallest wire! You could try leaving a tiny bit out for them at the bottom of the garden or something so they don't have to steal from the buns and leaving some humane traps around.

You are right mice are not good to be near the buns. I would definately get some humane traps and try and keep the place swept as much as possible to keep the hay out of the way as they like to use it for their nests too.

I don't know a lot about it, but from what I understand is it is the mice feces that can cause the bacteria or illness. Like I said, that is what I remember hearing or reading at one time.

Good luck, I sure hope you can solve the problem!

Latest posts

Back