Merlin is tugging at his cage...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbunbinkie

Reaction score
Merlin has been chewing and now (unfortunately) has started tugging at the wire on his cage. I let him out for 4 hours AT LEAST and maybe 12 or 13 hours a couple of days a week when I'm home. So he gets plenty ofplaytime. However, when I coax him back in the cage and close the door he gets mad and starts making a huge racket and starts chewing/tugging right away. He hasa wonderful little set up with a cozy bed, toys, ect ect. He goes in and out of his cage voluntarily all day, and will usually choose to go in his little tent and sleep instead of sleeping somewhere else.

I have tried zip tying cardboard along the sides to get him to chew on that, and he does, but still goes at his cage wires like crazy. I tried applying bitter apple spray to the bars, and that did help at first, but now the little booger will take a bite of food, chew it a little, then start chewing on the wires again to block the taste. I am overly paranoid about him screwing up his incisors... My previouis bunny did this too and I swear thats what messed up his teeth.

I am thinking I need to just let him have the run of my room 24-7 but he gets into EVERYTHING and I don't trust him to be good when I'm gone. What can I do that I'm not already doing?

Another thing is, is that the majority of the time when I let him out he runs straight under the bed (Oliver did this also) He is a happy, healthy, eating, pooping, peeing machine and will come right out if I call his name and peek under the bed at him. Is it just because he really likes it under there or is there something wrong? He loves loves loves people, so I don't think it has anything to do with being scared.

I know I probably sound a littlewacked for making a big deal about all this but I made alot of mistakes with Oliver (he was my first bun bun) that I do not want to repeat if I can help it.

Thanks!

Kayleigh:nerves1and Merlin:nasty:

I also had a similar problem with my bunny Pip. I give him a good amount of exercise and as soon as it's time to go back into his cage he causes a ruckus with the cage bars. (I also worry about his little teeth!)

I found a few things to be helpful. It sounds like you have tried a ton, so I don't know if any of these will help you out at all. I'm not sure whether you keep Merlin in a room where you see him if he can see you when caged. Pip previously lived in a smaller sized rabbit cage in mybedroomwhen not running around. I found by placing a light, breathable sheet over the entire cage, and by moving his cage out of my bedroom, he was much calmer at night. It seems he only chews the bars when he knows I am there in the hopes that I will let him out again. The other thing I did recently, (as i moved and don't have the option of keeping him elsewhere than my bedroom) is built him a larger pen, instead of the smaller cage, to contain him when im not around. It gives him a lot more room to move around, and he seems pretty content not chewing the cage bars. His noise now is limited to zooming around the larger pen, moving his cardboard boxes and other rearranging of "furniture."

As for his hiding spot, I find both of my rabbits really enjoy hanging out under the desk. They stick their heads out all the time, and will come zooming out for raisins. I think it has less to do with being scared than just enjoying having a space to hang out in.

Ehh, don't know if any of that helped, but figured since nobody replied yet i'd throw out my experiences.:) Good luck!

Thanks! Your reply definately did help me... Your Pip and my Merlin sound like they are the same bunny!lol.

I also must keep Merlin in my room, and I think I will definately try the sheet thing. He only really makes a racket when I am in there with him...little brat!!!!:bunny18

Latest posts

Back