Mella's Feet Again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

Reaction score
I've only been putting the iodine and anti-fungalpowder on her feet for about a week, but I haven't noticed any signs ofhealing. Should I get her to the vet or just continue the treatment? Idon't know how long it typically takes to see progress.

Get her to the vet. You should haveseen improvement within the week. It sounds like theinfection may have spread within the leg. Penn Ginjections are often effective and you may want to start her on someNutri-Cal to give her immune system a "boost".

(I'm advising based on the assumption that the sores are open, exudingpuss and swollen. Calloused hocks are not uncommon andnormally don't require treatment except for the occasional applicationof a fungicide as a preventive.)

Pam

Oh, poor Mella! I, of course, have no substantive info to add but just want to lend my support.

* hugs for both Mella and Sarah *

Thanks, I haven't seen any puss and I'm not sureif they're swollen. They're just light pink. There is fur allaround the sores. I'll take her to the vet. I'd rather be overlycautious with those precious feet than let her get an infection.

Bunnymommy, thanks we needed that. Of course, Miss Thang (Mella) isrunning around like she's fine. Luckily, her mommy knows better.

Then it appears that she may just have calloused feet. Not a big concern, but do keep an eye on them.

Pam

It has occured to me that I have 1000's of photos, but never post any on here :(

The trio above is a old photo collage of mine that was on our websiteabout 5 years ago. I also saw it used on a few other websites.

Pam

Beautiful pictures Pam. Did the websites that use your collage credit you for it? Do keep 'em coming.

So you think that because the symptoms of infection and/or open soresaren't really there that they are probably just callouses? I know thatit seems that I would know the difference, but I've never seen sorehocks before, so it's new to me. I will be SO relieved if that's all itis. I've been so worried.

No -- the websites didn't give credit.In fact, the one website claimed it as their own and asked that it notbe copied. That particular site was known for stealing photosand claiming that the rabbit was theirs. This particularperson is still in business today and just as "shady". ARBAknows them well due to the many complaints.

We generally don't have a problem with photo theft, although recentlymy daughter did find a photo of one of her grand champion Dwarf Hototdoes on a site claiming it to be their rabbit. Stephaniepolitely informed them of their "error".

The foot problem sounds like a callous if it is not open and not swollen -- just simply bare skin.

Pam

Poor Mella and Sarah.

Tucks, Fauna and I are thinking of her and sending her well wishes. Keep us posted on what the vet says.

Pamnock,

I have waited for a long time for you to post pictures of your beauties! What sweet little babies you have.

Would love it if you joined in on the post entitled "Blow Up yourAvatar" and showed us a bigger picture of that beautiful painting ofyour baby girl. Does my memory serve me well in thinking she was a she?Didn't she end up overseas?

-Carolyn

Thank you Sarah, it's comforting to know i'm notthe only one going through this! The information was also very good! iguess it might just be a callous (I think thats how you spell it)Thanks again!

-Lydia

Latest posts

Back