Melba toast?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaTheRabbit

Reaction score
Hi, i remember. Was giving my guinea pig a dry bread or rolls to eat so I gave LOLAa wholeweat melba toast. She is 9 weeks old. Do u think its a good idea or not?

No, I don't think giving a bunny melba toast is a good idea. Buns have sensitive systems. although some buns seem to do fine eating food that is not meant for buns why take a chance?

Stay away from starchy treats. Some that are made for rabbits are ok when she is an adult. Fresh veggies in moderation should be a good treat at her age.

I'm thinking of buying her a dry pappaya. Someone suggest me to give her regular Cheerios but she don't touch it.

Breeder told me not to give her any veggies and fruits till she is 6 months old.

Heck Lola won't touch carrots at her age, she fine on bunny pellets.
and you don't give bun any grass i mean any kind of grass.
you can ask about dehydered carrots as a treats.:brown-bunny

bread and cerial products are a no no...:no:

It is true that young bunnies are more sensitive to GI upset until around 6 mo, but it's a myth that young bunnies can't have veggies. You just have to go slowly with them and treat them more as a treat until that age. It may be best to wait until 3-4 months of age for anything other than hay and pellets. Veggies are safer for a young bunny's GI tract than sugars and starches, like what's present in fruit and bread. Dried papaya would be best once she's older.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Veg/Veg_en.htm

If she sheds, though, a little papaya every day or 2 would help break up any hairs that you didn't catch when you defluff several times a day.

Carrots are too full of sugar to give even to adults except as treats & in small amounts.

Grass, especially wheat grass, would be the first green I'd introduce.

greens carrots tops beet tops romane greens

Last edited:
Yes. I bought nibble rings but she is not interested yet. I also bought hammock and I cant wai when she will go and see it:)

Hi, i remember. Was giving my guinea pig a dry bread or rolls to eat so I gave LOLAa wholeweat melba toast. She is 9 weeks old. Do u think its a good idea or not?

I hate to do this to you and really don't want to guilt you in any way, but..

Please, if you still have guinea pigs or get any more in the future, do not give them any of those startchy things, either.
No toast, rolls, or anything processed.
Veggies, Timothy Hay, Pellets and a few crisp type fruits like mellon or apples.

I've had guinea pigs for years (and currently own four) and their system is just as sensitive as rabbits. The only true difference in their diet is that guinea pigs need daily doses of vitamin C, either in the veggies/fruits they eat or a supliment. Rabbits do not.

Now i know. I dont have my guinea pig any more but I remember numerous ppl told me that guinea pigs should eat dry bread bc i help their teeth.

They were very wrong.
Timothy Hay is what really helps ware down the teeth. Out of all the grass hays, it has a corse texture. Also, fruit tree branches. I always like to use either apple, plum or pear tree branches.

Latest posts

Back