Megacolon Discomfort Issues...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I've had Zoe on hay for about 2.5 weeks' prior to boarding her (and our two other buns) before spraying our house for mites. (Don't ask...) The woman who boarded them fed Zoe a thickened Critical-Care patty twice daily. Zoe seemed to do well with this new diet addition, so I started feeding her at least one small patty daily since she came home (about one week).

Over the past two days, Zoe's seemed uncomfy at times but has been eating/drinking normally. I gave her two doses of Simethicone yesterday (just in case) and stoppedfeeding her Critical Care then, as well.

Today, she stillseemed uncomfy at times; so I gave her a dose of Metacam (again, just in case).

Is there anything else that I should consider trying for her?

Thank you,

Jenk

Could it be possible that her appearing uncomfortable is just her personal body language? At least with my guys.. if they are in any sort of discomfort, their appetite goes out the window or noticeably decreases. Although that is with them having regular digestives.. but for me if they are eating, they must be feeling half decent :).

In the past, too much fussing has actually caused problems in my experience.. like with my angel bun Pepsi, where a portion of her problems were actually the result of high levels of stress (nail clipping was a big issue).

:)

Spring wrote:
Could it be possible that her appearing uncomfortable is just her personal body language? At least with my guys.. if they are in any sort of discomfort, their appetite goes out the window or noticeably decreases. Although that is with them having regular digestives.. but for me if they are eating, they must be feeling half decent :).
I feel that I finallyunderstand Zoe's body language pretty well. Ususually, when she feels well, she runs like the dickens and stretches out on her side; she hasn't done either one for a few days--until tonight.

I think that the low-dose of pain med. (Metacam) has helped a bit; she actually did a few binkies tonight. I believe that much of her current gut irritation, besides being from a faulty digestive system not handling Critical Care, is caused by the super-HUGE poops that she's passed over the last two days.
In the past, too much fussing has actually caused problems in my experience.. like with my angel bun Pepsi, where a portion of her problems were actually the result of high levels of stress (nail clipping was a big issue).
I waited a few days before giving Zoe anything, medically-speaking. (Simethicone tends to make her poop drier, more tacky-feeling; I don't like giving it unless I suspect that there's reason to see if it helps.) But, believe it or not, I've not hovered over her.

It's possible that she's also having a latent reaction to having been boarded. But now I feel that I must go back to a hay-only diet until her poopsre-adjust (i.e., stop having mucous and decrease in size). Only then will I feel more confident to give her something else again (a small amount of greens or Critical Care).

Latest posts

Back