Meet Stratus

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazerLily

Reaction score
I know I haven't been on here recently, but I wanted to take the time to introduce my new rabbit, and Nebula's new girlfriend. Her name is Stratus and she is a harlequin colored standard rex. She is almost 3 months old, and already has been quite the trouble maker. 10 days ago she gave me quite the scare when she escaped from her pen, and then the next day one whole side of her face was swollen. I took her into work with me, thinking it would be a quick drain the abscess thing, which it wasn't. She decided to stop eating, stop pooping, and stop peeing. My vet worried that she felt warm, so we took her temp (which she let us do willingly), and it was 107.5 F, the highest temp I have ever seen on any animal to walk through the hospital doors. We gave her antibiotic and vitamin injections, subcutaneous fluids, and I started to force feed her critical care (which she thinks is fabulous). It took 48 hours before her temp came below 105 F and stayed down, and another 24 before she started eating any on her own and eliminating. She is still finishing her round of baytril, but is doing wonderfully. She also had a case of coccidia, which we are treating, and she will do anything for that medicine (I have never seen a rabbit so willing to take medicine).

Now I get the fun of trying to litterbox train her, which is not going well at all (it went real well while she was sick, she would use the box to elimate in, but now that she's better, that is another story). She thinks her box is a bed, not for pottying in. I've never had this much trouble with any of my rabbits, but then again, all of them were a little older when I got them. She also doesn't listen real well, so I can't let her run lose, unless it's in the bathroom, and catching her is tough. She is still trying to get used to the cats, but bosses them around when they get to close.

So, with out further ado, meet Stratus.

stratus1.jpg

stratus2.jpg

Nebula is one lucky Bunny. Stratus is Adorable.

Look forward to more pictures of her.

BTW what was her diagnosis?

Susan:)

Ooh, Stratus is gorgeous! Just look at that pretty girl. I'm glad she is okay after her big health scare, I wonder what that was about? She sounds wonderful, I love spunky bunnies :D Congrats to you and Nebula! Oh and whatever medicine they use to treat coccidia is great. Tallulah LOVED it too. Our friends had to treat her with it while we were out of town for a few days and there were no problems at all... I had to keep the bottle and syringe out of reach because both she AND Rory would try to steal them when they were out of there cages!

Latest posts

Back