Meet my sons new pet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Tracey~

Reaction score
This is a giant African snail

snaileg6.jpg

snail2fw9.jpg

snail2pk1.jpg

Michaela wrote:
Wow! What are they like to care for? Can't sayIwould want one myself but still cool :cool:

Very easy to care for. My son has his in a tank with damp dirt in it,some cuttlefish for their shells. They eat lettuce, cucumber, eggshells and you dont need two snails to breed as they are male andfemale, you just need to replace the soil with sand as they bury theeggs

Well I searchedon giant african snails for a bit because I was wondering if they werecommonly kepts as pets... and i learned that they are dangerous,invasive, and agricultural pests. So dangerous that it's illegal tobring them into the US.. but if they are cared for correctly then theyare relatively okay.

Just in case you didn't already know all this -http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rarespecies/a/pestsGALs.htm

It's an interesting article. Thoughtaken incontext,the term 'dangerous' seems a littlemisleading.

It says.... "Giant African land snails are not dangerous in the samesense that pet tigers and alligators ...... and that the'dangerous' part refers to them apparently carrying a meningitis riskwhich has never been found anywhere in the US and as far as I can findout, never anywhere else either unless the snail meat waseaten. By far the biggest risk appears to be with the snailsdestructive abilities in the wild - and that, I'm afraid can also beapplied to our own darlings, the rabbit.

I sound like an advocate for Giant African land snails, don'tI? Not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid. Small andfurry's more in my line, not big and slimy.....eeewwwwww!!!

:zoro

Prepare to be ... slimed?

(or at least grossed out). ;)

Almost every animal not native to an area isdangerous --rabbits, birds, insects, fish, you name it. They stand a goodchance of having major food supplies and few predators so they multiplyfar beyond what nature intended. The imports can destroyexisting populations either physically or becausetheyhaveno immunities to their parasites, ortheycandestroy their environments and starve themout.

It's never a good idea to mess with the balance. Closelyguarded pets only! (Especially if just one canreproduce. What a trick!)

(That said, I think it's cute!)

sas :)

Back