Meet Eli, "Moody," adopted yesterday!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Shelby. I'm a college student and my boyfriend and I live together in an apartment. Yesterday I adopted MY first rabbit (my mom had taken care of one that I called "mine" when I was younger that we saved from a friend who left him in bad conditions).

All about Eli:
Eli was originally named "Moody" by the IRHS. However, he's super sweet and I don't think "moody" is a good word for him. Eli took my heart when I went in for a "meet-and-greet" as soon as I got into the playpen with him. I wasn't even going to do it, I thought I knew exactly what bunny I wanted already! I was like, "shucks, let's give it a try - what harm could it do?" Needless to say, this little buddy stole my heart. Eli is missing his left eye and a part of his left ear. He was surrendered to the IRHS, and the background isn't well known. As soon as they told me he was having troubles being adopted because of his eye and ear, which I thought made him cuter - adds character!, my heart melted. I looked over to the other rabbit I had been longing for previously and heard a couple people cooing over how cute he was. Sure, he was a little shy, but he had warmed up to me pretty easily... I figured he would get adopted pretty quickly compared to a little bun with some missing parts. I felt too connected with Eli to even begin thinking of bringing home any other rabbit. He let me pet him as he ate some timothy hay, and I decided that he was coming home with me. Now.

I paid my dues after asking a million questions about little Eli, and I took him back to my place. :yes: I'm so in love. Yesterday, after the transition, he was rather scared. I had his cage set up and I put fresh water, bedding, hay, litter box, a toy, and a salad of spinach, parsley, and some other green (hey, I've slept since then, can't quite remember ) :headsmack. This morning I woke up and he had explored the cage last night and had eaten all of his salad and most of his hay. I got ready for school and I made myself some breakfast, which included me giving him a slice of my apple. Now he was still fairly shy, and I don't blame him at all. I got home at lunch time today and I talked to him and fixed up a little cilantro to give him, which he gladly took right out of my hands! So I said "heck with it," I was having a salad anyways, so I gave him some kale and he ate right there with me! I petted him a few times during it and kept talking. He's getting along great, which is amazing!

However, I'm having troubles with one of our dogs. We have 2 little dogs that are just a little bigger than him. Both dogs are spayed females, but one insists on barking every time he moves. Now I know she isn't like this normally and may calm down after awhile, but I hate that it's scaring him so badly. Does anyone have any advice on how to introduce these two? The other dog is fine, she's just slightly skittish because she doesn't know him and is confused. Besides the dog, he comes up and will drink water next to me, eat out of my hands, let me pet him and pick him up, and he will even come near my hands as if I have treats for him.. but as soon as that dog is around, he gets scared and runs back to his litter box to hide out.. any ideas?

Thank you! I'll post a picture at some point, I just don't want to frighten him. He looks like a dutch mixed with a teeny tiny bit of lionhead (mainly because he has very subtle muttonchops!)

Shelby :bunnybutt:

I have three buns. One is not afraid of my large dog and even tries to play with him. The other two are more skittish. They used to thump and run for their lives when my dog was around the room they are in. They are getting used to him and do not thump any more and do not run for their lives so much.

You haven't had your bun for long so I would give it some more time. Try to keep the dog away if you can. I would work with the dog on getting it to not bark at the bun. Maybe you could get two pieces of fleece. Have the dog lay with one and the bun have the other and after a few days switch them so they can get used to each others smell.

There is nothing wrong with your bun hiding when it is scared by the dog. That's what rabbits do. I would think that over time your bun will adjust to the dog and feel safer and so not hide every time the dog barks or is around.

Thanks PaGal, my dog has actually calmed down a lot more now that Eli had his run of the place for a bit. She was shut off in a different room for the time being, but I think her barks may start becoming less scary as he realizes that she won't hurt him. I hope this process doesn't take too long.. but if it does, I'll be patient :) I can't wait until he starts playing with more toys. He seemed slightly interested when he loosened up earlier, but I'm afraid he's still too uncomfortable for that kind of play yet.

:hello & :welcome1, Shelby & Eli!
Glad you found it in your heart to give Eli a good home! Many animals that are not physically perfect make the best "pets." I can't answer how to best help Eli & your dog especially the barking one become friends or at least accepting of each other so will leave it to the more experienced dog/bunny members. If possible, I do think I would try to give Eli more quiet area away from the dogs until you have a plan of action for introductions. Since he has his disabilities he will be more easily frightened. Missing an eye & an ear, he is very vulnerable. To him a predator could easily sneak up on him & all of the barking is very scary. Reminds me of the hounds baying at the fox as they chase it. Anyway, I would try to limit the barking & dogs for a bit & let him get used to their scent first. Watch for his reaction. Maybe then introduce him gradually to the dog who doesn't bark if you & when you feel that they are comfortable from a distance &/or with a barrier. You will probably need to train your barking dog that it is unacceptable to bark at the bunny. Sorry, these are just my thoughts & not from experience with a dog & bunny together. Hope some of my suggestions make sense & maybe helpful to you! Wishing you & Eli many happy years together!

Congratulations on getting your little bunny Eli, I can´t wait to see pics of him. He´s a lucky bunny and I´m sure you´ll give him loads of love and a wonderful home.

I´m sure that as they get to know each other both Eli and your dog will settle down. Look forward to hearing more about them all.

Definitely need to see pics. You need to train your dog to understand "shut it" or some such phrase. Our dog ignores my wife but if I tell her that phrase she will stop barking. Something else too--if your bun is 6 months or more you need to be careful which veggies you give--Kale is fairly high in calcium and not needed near as much by a grown bun. There are several lists of veggies here. You'll also want to avoid cruciform veggies (gassy) like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, etc.

Here's a little bit more info and update for everyone!

First off, Eli is slightly underweight. His estimated age is about 3 or 4 years old, and, as also instructed, he is eating alfalfa pellets as to gain weight. I know that kale needs to be given in smaller amounts; I only fed him a little leaf :)

Also, as the dog (Alice) and him go, I brought her in the room and sat holding her. Eli is very comfortable with me already, which is highly surprising. Alice was barking and wagging her tail trying to play with him. Again, to my surprise, he actually picked up some toys and was still very comfortable! I think he just needed to see that she wasn't going to hurt him, even if she did bark. I will still work on the barking, but she only does it if she's very frightened or wants to play. She's not an aggressive dog (she tries to sound like it though)! Even better yet, Eli went and laid out in his litter box and Alice just plopped down and laid next to the cage. I think maybe I was going about the situation wrong.

Eli may very well have himself a play buddy in the future :) A supervised play buddy nonetheless. Thanks for welcoming us! My goal is to make Eli a mainly free-range bunny (only when I'm home) as he is already very well litter-trained and seems like he's going to fit in just perfectly! I just need to do some better bunny-proofing..... :vacuum:

Hello and welcome :) Eli sounds like quite the brave little bunny, and seems to be settling in well. Hope all continues well.

Back