medications

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesedwardwaller

Reaction score
i would like to have this topic(MEDICATIONS) in the infirmary,,rather than rainbow/memorial,..i believe we are the first line of defence for our buns::.i would like there to be a discussion-,list of medications/for rabbits,and there usage,dosage,etc,.i don,t think there is anything morally wrong with being knowledgable-- a (first aid approach to treatment,)-with rabbits seconds count,,everyones situation is different,however we allshare a common interest/goal,..i opened a thread about asprin,got very few responses,but they have inspired me to pursue what i believe most people are looking for-(answers)-i think there is alot of experienced people,dvm,s even willing to help build a data base/.i would like to pour it all into one spot,,so to speak...we could also talk about cpr/.how many people acually know how to give cpr to a rabbit??..let the people speak,...sincerely james waller [email protected] :p

I think that this would be a good thread to have. I for one do not know how to give cpr to a rabbit. I also would like to know the medications out there for rabbits and the correct dosage for rabbits. Just in case one cannot get to the vet right away, they can come here and actually know the proper dosage of medication to give their rabbit until they can get to a rabbit knowledgable vet. There have been times my rabbit(s) have had an emergency and I could not get to a vet. Luckily nothing too serious, but what if there is something serious and there isn't any way a person can get to a vet?

Betadine, I know I sound like a broken record but betadine betadine betadine, a simple topical antibiotic which bacteria can't develop an immunity to.

I think it's a great idea, James.

One of my indispensible sites is the Rabbit Drug Dosage Calculator

However, there are some things to consider about each drug. Perhaps we should revamp our library topic on Medications.

A discussion about some of the drugs would also be useful.

For instance, Aspirin is a fine pain reliever in a pinch, but because it thins the blood and reduces clotting, it's not so useful for most painful situations in rabbits, where bleeding is involved. That can be anything from molar spurs to contusions to post-op pain--all have a bleeding component so aspirin isn't a good choice. It also shouldn't be used for very many consecutive days, along with ibuprofen, because of the possibility to irritate the stomach and cause ulcers. Either of those drugs will do in a pinch for immediate pain relief, ibuprofen is ok if there's bleeding, but I'd prefer to have some meloxicam on hand.

edit: Other things I have in the cabinet are simethicone, Bene-Bac, styptic powder, betadine, triple antibiotic ointment, insulin and 5cc syringes, mineral oil (for scent glands), Nutri-cal, baby food, canned pumpkin, and Critical Care. Also a rice sock, nail clippers.

Latest posts

Back