Measuring Food Amounts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Everything I read about feeding rabbits leafy greens/ herbs states amounts in terms of cups (i.e., "feed 1-2 cups of veggies per 5 lbs. of weight," etc.).

I am confused as to how to determine a cup of something as oddly-shaped as leafy greens and/ or herbs. How you do you determine (measure) the amount of moist food that your bunny (or bunnies) eat?

Thank you,

Jenk

What I do it cut the vegetables I give into small pieces then put them in a cup, and I put as many as I can get in there until the pile reaches the top of the measuring cup.

Hopefully I'm doing it right. :ponder:

I don't measure veg lol... I just know that roughly a leaf or 2 of this and that, and a small bunch/slice of this and that, and when its about an inch or 2 over the top of the bowl it's enough! That sounds like tons but it's not a huge bowl, it goes on top of the pellets and is for 2 buns! :)

I just pile all the greens in Hazel's basket, and give her about 2 baskets full per day. That's probably a lot more than most people give, but greens are the biggest part of her diet, so she needs quite a lot, and a lot of variety.

I don't play by the rules with measuring.. I mainly eye ball everything. Even with pellets, I use my hand to measure, and can usually get similar amounts. With veggies, I usually take what I have until the next shopping trip, then split it up and use the portions of each veggie so it will cover a few days (longer for veggies that last longer).

Sometimes the salads are bigger than the rabbits LOL :D

I only measure pellets

But...

since 5 of my rabbits are little porkers maybe I should be measuring the greens.
I do think that they gain weight on limitless hay and huge salds if they are not free-roam.

In the case of my girl Zoe, though, I will always need to measure her amount of herbs (assuming that it turns out she can digest them). I'm figuring that, as with Marietta's boy, Vitto, Zoe will eat mainly hay and a small amount of herbs. (Vitto also gets a measured amount of pellets, which I hope to be able to give to Zoe eventually; time will tell.)

I too dont measure i just fill the bowl up, at this point i know what they eat, one time i measured it and have kept it at that amount, sometimes it is a little more and sometimes a little less. There are never an y leftovers,lol. I usually use either two stalks of romaine hearts or one large red leaf lettuce, and then when i put other things in, like other veggies, then i use a little less.

I just give a ton of greens. Pellets I measure.

Seriously how would I have time to measure 9 salads?? One being for a trio of bunnies the other for two bonded guinea pigs.

Oh and moving this to the nutrition and behavior thread.:biggrin2:

i just eye ball it. the only thing i measure is the pellets, and that's just a mark on the cup:p(plastic bathroom cup).

JadeIcing wrote:
Since this thread revolves around measuring veggies/ herbs--rather than the nutritional aspects of them--I'd figured I was safe to start it in the general forum. Sorry 'bout that. :? (I know, assumptions are bad. ;))

Jenk wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
Since this thread revolves around measuring veggies/ herbs--rather than the nutritional aspects of them--I'd figured I was safe to start it in the general forum. Sorry 'bout that. :? (I know, assumptions are bad. ;))

No problem. Thats what I am here for. To move stuff. Ok I am supposed to do more but don't tell them I am not doing all I should be. :p

ETA: Oh if you ever are not certain. Feel free to pm me and ask.

Latest posts

Back