Measured amount of food for buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankz

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm SO sorry I've been inactive, school started so I'm trying not to be on alot. I have a question. Me and my mom are going grocery shopping today, and we're getting Sunny her veggies. I never have measured out Sunny's food, but I'd like to. She always get's 1/4th cup of pellets, because she's getting a bit heavy, even though she is a Californian/Himalayan (I can't tell, but I'm guessing Californian). Is there an exact amount of a variety of veggies I should give her? I'm leaning toward a cup of (for example) something like celery, romaine lettuce (or just a leaf of that), and tiny bits of fruit (in moderation, she's hyper enough, she doesn't need alot of sugary fruits!) All mixed together in her bowl. How much measured out (for those of you who do measure things) should I be giving her, and how often, (once, twice a day, etc.?).

At this point, she's been getting her 1/4 pellets and a whole peeled carrot, or broccoli.

Thanks all!!

I don't measure my veggies butI do not feed anything with high sugar like carrots or fruit but stick basically with the parlsey, cilantro, romaine , dandelion, kale etc veggies.

whenI did feed a lot of veggies my rabbits did gain weight although it doesn't make a lot of sense to me; they also get tiny amounts of pellets and unlimited hay.
I would give small to medium size portion to an overweight rabbit.
exercise is probably the key to weight loss andI have the most problem with mine getting enough; they are all prone to gain weight easily

Since I don't measure... small to medium only means something to me so you need to listen to the folks on the forum who are actually measuring things out.

I would cut out the carrot and give her only leafy green veggies like herbs, romaine, etc. I don't measure out my bun's veggies exactly, but I wash them in a salad spinner so I kind of fill that up to the same level every night. He's 4lbs and probably gets about 4 large leaves of leaf/romaine lettuce every night, and maybe 2 leaves in the morning. He won't eat herbs or anything, but if he did I would just replace one or two of those lettuce leaves with the herbs. If you only want to feed veggies once a day, just feed them when you're not feeding pellets (so if you give pellets in the morning, give veggies at night, etc)

Latest posts

Back