Mean bunny:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesy

Reaction score
Charlie is about 6 months now... I have recently moved into my moms about a month ago and lately Charlie has been getting kind of mean! I bought him a rand new big cage because I haven't had him out as much bc of work. But he growled earlier and is biting . I he just having a bad day? Is it hormones? Help!!!

Has Charlie been neutered yet?

Hes at that age where it probably is his hormones combined with the move and new cage and probably change in schedule for him. Most of which would probably go right back to normal if you Neuter him. Of Coarse it would take a month or so after :)

No hEs not I can't find a vet that specializes in rabbits around here. I called a few and they said they don't usually but they can... Didnt sound promising.

If you can't find a vet that specializes in rabbits or small animals, I would take him to the one that feels most confident in performing a rabbit neuter. It's really not that difficult to perform (if it was a spay I would be saying something different!) so finding a vet that would feel comfortable doing one is a good compromise if you really really can't find one who specializes in smaller animals. I've had five neuters done by vets who, like you said, "Don't usually, but can" and haven't had a problem besides my own nervousness. However if that makes you too uncomfortable it looks like you may have some traveling to do.

A lot of humane societies or vet teaching hospitals can do rabbit neuters. As for spays I'm a bit more leery and will be taking my bunny to an expert, but when both of my boys were neutered it was by the vet at the animal shelter.

All vets have some rabbit experience, its apart of their training, most did it "way back in the day", they usually just see dogs and cats because its whats drilled into them, its whats comfortable.
For spays... a rabbit is the same as a cat/dog. Neuters are slightly because bunnys can suck their parts in, different but not difficult.

The only thing really difficult about neutering/spaying a rabbit is their size, alot of vets will refuse to do cats and dogs under 6-7 months so a small bunny might be difficult, however some vets work with breeders and will spay/neuter 8week old kittens before they go to their new homes. Ask vets if they do that, those are your best bet since they have more experience dealing with itty bitty parts.

There isnt anything special pre-med wise for bunnys, some vets will give them pre-meds, catheter them, then inject anesthetic before putting them on the gas, others will just mask them down with just gas. Both methods are totally acceptable and safe. Rabbits dont get tubed.

Were not looking for rabbit savvy diagnositcs here, just somebody who can safely do the procedure.

Have a read through here
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12040&forum_id=10
Great articles and photos and what to look for in a vet.

Vets at animal shelters are experts on fixing animals. Most of what they do every day is take out baby making parts. I would prefer them to do my animals' spay/neuters any day, provided that they do keep bunnies at the shelter. I help with a high volume spay/neuter clinic at a shelter and the vets there are the best. They have done hundreds or even thousands of spays and neuters, and they can get them done faster, which means an easier time of recovery. A vet school is the last place I'd have it done (knowing what I do now--the only bunny we didn't get already fixed we had done at the vet school) because the person doing it would probably be doing that surgery for the first time and it would take them much longer. An expert might be helping and watching them, but that isn't going to speed up the surgery much.

Oh I would also like to add that some shelters will also have vouchers to reduce the cost of neutering. Or it'll be low cost to begin with. I just had Harvey nuetered at my local SPCA (which I have volenteered at before) and he did great. Plus it was only $35. They also always have rabbits at the shelter. I was quite tempted to adopt one when I was picking up Harvey. They were sooo much bigger than him haha.

I'd like to say that no vet students DO exotics spays/neuters at my local teaching hospital. It is one vet only and she has over 20 years experience with rabbit surgeries. She always is experienced with bird and reptile surgeries. The local humane societies around here rarely see rabbits and when they do have them, they send them to the teaching hospital as do all the other vets in the area. It really just depends on your location and vets in the area.

LaylaLop wrote:
I'd like to say that no vet students DO exotics spays/neuters at my local teaching hospital. It is one vet only and she has over 20 years experience with rabbit surgeries. She always is experienced with bird and reptile surgeries. The local humane societies around here rarely see rabbits and when they do have them, they send them to the teaching hospital as do all the other vets in the area. It really just depends on your location and vets in the area.

I see. Every vet is different about what they want to do. Our teaching hospital is attached to a vet school, and every vet has to have a "1st (animal) (surgery type)". Again, sorry to lead you off topic.

Our Humane Society does spay/neuters for rabbits for $100, which isn't cheap for a neuter, but is good for a spay. Plus there are tons of vets around here due to the vet school and they charge a lot.

Latest posts

Back